Energy

My first instinct was to check on Kayden, his face was contorted in anger and it seemed like any minute he could explode. Screams were loud and terrifying as gunshots rang out within the room, the once silent audience scattered and frightened.

Warriors quickly sprung to action, surrounding their royalty was their first priority. My eyes quickly scanned the room and widened at the familiar stench of rogues. I knew that smell better than anyone, the musty rotten smell I could never forget.

They attacked our warriors that had just shifted. Isaac was by my side, still in his human form. A small dart came heading at my neck and I extended my palm, stopping it midair. I narrowed my eyes to see the one who shot it and threw it right back, stabbing him in the exact spot. He fell to the ground with a thump and my mate growled loudly, catching everyone's attention.

Kayden was quick to shift and darted out the back entrance, where most of the attacking was beginning to occur. My brother, too, shifted and I remained in my human form, for my wolf did not have the same abilities as an Ultimate.

"Give us the Ultimate!" Screamed a familiar raspy voice, the same rogue man shifted and lunged straight at me. Isaac tackled him straight to the ground, tearing up one of the men that tortured me for years.

I was on an adrenaline high, looking out for one person, the man that led them all. Rowen. The sound of his name was bitter on my tongue. Blood was everywhere, most coming from their invaders. I placed a ring of fire around where the rogue wolves were coming in, blocking the next wave from coming in. They snarled at me, trying to cross but their furs scorching under the fiery inferno.

I rounded up all the women and children, quickly taking them to our safe room. There were thousands of them running and trying to find shelter. I yelled at the top of my lungs, trying to save as many as I could.

I kicked off my heels, taking young toddlers wandering about and bringing them to the safe room, going back and forth for what seemed like hours. My dress weighed me down but I pushed forward, trying to ignore it.

Despite the orders other warriors shouted at me, I refused to get into the safe room myself. I shut the heavy door and bolted it shut before going back outside to where my warriors stood their ground against the rogues.

As I ran, a sharp pain in my stomach had me groaning in pain. I knew something had to be wrong with Kayden so I tried to not focus on it and sprint to where he was. I could feel the energy draining out of me little by little as the pain spread.

When I found my mate, hovering over him was Rowen, a blade in his right hand. Kayden was struggling to stand, his abdomen spilling blood. They were so close yet so far away, I ran faster, trying to save him.

"Oh look what we have here," Rowen tutted, bow pointing the blade at me.

"Don't touch her," Kayden gritted out, clutching his stomach.

"I won't kill her, not with this blade of course," He began. "Instead, I'll kill her in a different way, by killing you." Rowen snarled at my mate. "And then she'll come back with me, we can finally pick up where we left off."

In a flash, he slashed the blade at me, cutting me deeply but not enough to kill me. I fell to the ground and Rowen readjusted the blade, about to lunge for Kayden.

"No!" I screamed, using the very last of my energy to knock the blade out of his hand and drive it back into Rowen.

The loss of blood and strength began to take a toll on me as my vision faded in and out, my head throbbing with pain as I lay limply on the ground.

The last thing I felt was a tingling sensation and a familiar warmth spread throughout my entire body.