Chapter 18 : Search

I stare up at the ceiling above us deep in thought. For so much time I truly believed a life without a mate would be perfectly fine. But as the bond deepens more and more I've begun to realize how truly screwed I was.

I've messed everything up by getting to close to him. The rejection is going to hurt us both more than it should. If I had only allowed myself to keep my distance, this all would've been much easier.

Now, I have to find him a new mate; someone to replace me when I have to leave. I'm sure there are plenty of girls willing to take my spot. There are so many pure, innocent girls within this pack that could do a much better job than I ever could at being the Luna. My job is to find one for Kayden and let him fall in love.

Simple right?

"What are you thinking so hard about?" A deep voice asked and I gasped in surprise. I didn't think he'd be awake already.

"You know, just stuff..." I trailed off, turning over to my side to face him, "So I've been wondering. Is there any particular girl you have an eye on at the moment?" I asked him.

He nodded his head, "Yes actually, she's been on my mind for weeks now." At least my job is easier now. He already has a girl in mind! Now all I have to do is find her and practically force her to become Luna.

I'm sure there are thousands of girls that would kill for this position.

"Perfect," I chirped and he looked at me confusingly, "That's all I wanted to know." I got out of his bed quickly and began fixing the pillows in the spot I had slept in. I looked over at Kayden and his eyes were dark, looking over at me. His eyes were trained on my shirt and that's when I realized I was wearing his.

"Oh sorry about that, I'll give your shirt back right after I wash it." I said apologetically, right before leaving the room.

Once I was back in my own room I brushed my teeth along with my other necessities in getting ready. I pulled on a casual outfit for the day, placing my hair into a high ponytail. I jogged downstairs, waving a small hello to Alice as I grabbed a small breakfast bar.

"Where are you going today?" Isaac asked, inspecting my outfit.

"I'm just looking for someone, that's all." At this point, everyone's eyes were on me. Even including Kayden's sleepy ones, who was still wearing his night clothes.

Isaac narrowed his eyes at me, "What did we just talk about yesterday? It's useless Charlotte." He said in a whisper yell as he quickly pulled me to the side. There was no point though, with our hearing they could listen in on our conversation anyways.

"And do you remember what I told you yesterday?" I said, my voice raising a little, "It's going to happen anyway so stop talking about it!" I shouted angrily, slamming the pack door behind me. He knew better than to bring it up. I'm sick and tired of talking about it all the time, it's driving me insane.

As I stalked away from the pack house, I could hear the door open and shut once again. I knew who was following me once I picked up his scent, "Yes?" I asked, whipping my head around after stopping abruptly.

"What was that all about?" Kayden asked.

"Family stuff," I said vaguely, continuing to walk away. My wrist was grabbed and I was pulled back to him, ignoring the sparks that traveled up my right arm.

"What's with the sudden change in attitude? If I did something you can just tell me--"

"--You know what? I'm sorry alright? I'm taking everything out on you and I shouldn't be." I said to him, feeling guilty.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing, just forget about it." I said, brushing off his questions. I had a mission for today, and all these distractions are making it a ton harder.

"Okay," He said unsure of himself, "But if you need me for anything, I'll be there ASAP." I nodded my head and the two of us parted ways. I finally let out a deep breath that I didn't know I had been holding.

It's go time.

****

Is he like the most pious man on Earth or something? Every single girl I've talked to said he hadn't shown a single bit of interest towards any of them. Goddess, that means he was saving himself for his mate, for me.

I spent hours trying to find the girl Kayden was looking at. It's like she doesn't even fucking exist! What, does he have a crush on a bear? An Amish girl? Because whatever the hell it is it sure isn't around here. I've come up with absolutely nothing, nada.

I came home late in the afternoon frustrated and defeated. I plopped myself down on the couch with a sigh, would I ever find her around here? I asked myself. I felt pretty useless after I spent the whole day interrogating girls about whether they had a crush on my mate or not. Fun right?

I accomplished absolutely nothing, I just wish he had given me a clue. Does this girl have light or dark hair? Is she short or tall? I've got no clue.

I went to sleep that night irritated because I couldn't find that damned girl.