ii. WON'T YOU FOLLOW ME?

lord huron // ends of the earth.

SIX MONTHS LATER

       BRENDA'S HAIR GREW OVERTIME, it suited her and she was able to tuck a strand of it behind her ear sometimes, MK no longer wore braids, she barely had time for self care. Her blonde hair flew with the breeze, dirty and untreated. Everyone and everything was changing.

        The sun was scorching, what they wore was already dusty and it couldn't save them from the heat. MK had a working watch around her wrist, and it never stopped working ever since the world fell apart. She kept it on her since and it never left her unless she was changing or adjusting whatever she had to put on, including the promise ring.

        Everyone gathered around Vince who stood on top of a rock, resting his hands on his hips, squinting due to the sun blaring in his eyes, watching whoever huddled to the crowd.

        "This is it," Vince tells them. MK joins them, this time actually wanting to listen to what he had to say. "It's a new day, a big day for all of us. I understand all of you and how you all been feeling these past six months. Angry, hurt, vengeful, but I promise you as your leader, as a friend, as a person who has the same amount of hatred and anger towards WICKED, we will fight back. We will not let them do anymore of their crap. This is where it ends. We will get our people back!"

        Everyone cheers out a "Yeah!" with applause all in unison. MK grips the sleeves of her navy blue jacket. She remembered it all from the back of her head. It had only been a few hours since she and the group were brought into base camp after running into Harriet and Sonya. She remembered everything: Sonya gave MK some apple slices, Harriet gave her a warm jacket and invited her to dinner with her, Sonya and Aris, she fetched Brenda some water and asked how long it had been since she got bit in the leg by a crank, she remembered WICKED attacking them, and Janson killing the Doctor named Mary and dying in Vince's arms. It was no wonder why he sounded more angry and determined to bring them down.

        She was still wearing the jacket Harriet lend her. Despite the oversize, it kept her warm at night. It felt like his arms  were around her to help her sleep, but she had to remember it was only a jacket.

        Then, Jorge steps up onto the rock and stands beside him. "We came this far and we're not turning back. I'm teaming up with a few friends from the crowd to help me as well as with the help of mi hermano Vince. We tracked down the train that WICKED has kept them in, transporting them to wherever destination. We'll be leaving soon- "

        "And soon is like, probably now."

        MK COUGHS AFTER INHALING the dust that crowded underneath her hideout, Frypan, who was hiding underneath the shield with her, shushes her as the WICKED guards surround both Jorge and Brenda after stepping out of the truck, their hands up.

        Wait for it . . . wait for it  . . .

        Brenda gives a wave while smirking. NOW! Signalling the switch that activates the trap WICKED's men were stepping on, they all screamed while tumbling down.

        Frypan and MK rush outside, pointing their guns at the remaining men.

        "I wouldn't do that now," Frypan says smiling.

        "Hey Fry! 'Sup, MK?" Brenda calls, smiling.

        MK chuckles and shakes her head. "What's good?"

        "Good to see you guys. C'mon get back!" Frypan orders the men that surrendered with their hands up.

        Minutes after getting things settled and finding out what to do with the remaining WICKED authorities, Jorge was able to take control over the Berg. Brenda and Frypan adjusts the button controls on top while MK holds onto the latch at the end. "We're good!" she shouts, looking from the view. "Bring it up!"

        The Berg ascends up into the air, the wind blowing in every direction from the blades. MK cheers with Jorge as they hover over Thomas and his small group that held down the boxcar of kids. MK slams a button, reeling down hooks to attach itself onto the boxcars.

        "We're going home, baby!" Jorge cheers, lifting the Boxcar with the Berg, flying away from WICKED's men. Their cheers echoed everywhere, cheers of relief and victory.

        THE BOXCAR DOOR heaved open, and Thomas was the first one to enter inside. It was dark and dusty and all the kids were chained up in their seats by the hands. They were in bad shape, tired, exhausted, scared.

        "It's okay," MK assures them. "You're safe now."

        Harriet goes to hug Sonya and Aris, MK rushes over. "Where are the bolt cutters?" She rushes to everyone's rescue and begins to cut down the chains at each seat. She stops when Thomas was staring at the wall.

        "Thomas?" she asks. "What's wrong?"

        He turns around in disbelief and shock. "It's Minho . . . he's not here."