xxv. CASSIE & GALLY.

the 1975 // hello.

THEIR EARS WERE STILL RINGING from the rebel attack. The enemies have left too much damage, consuming more of the untouched parts of the city. Gally was on constant alert whenever people would run near them, thinking it was a WCKD soldier mistaking them for a rebel or a rebel mistaking them for a WCKD soldier because they were wearing their uniforms.

"You're actually a dumb shank, you know that?" Minho says. "Leaving the ring inside her pockets?"

"Hey! Its better than having it fall out of mine. I had to run back and forth for you guys."

"How do you even know she made it out?"

Gally stopped. "Did I tell you MK's wearing a dress? It's ridiculous. I'm not too crazy about it, either. I can't imagine her wearing one."

"What's the occasion?"

"GALLY!" Cassie runs up to the four boys. They all stop and turned.

"Cass?" Gally gasps.

She catches her breath while clutching her gun. "Your girl. I just saw her. She's hurt, you need to come with me right now."

"MK?!" Gally says, his heart dropping like a bomb. "What do you mean she's hurt? I told her to get out of the city long time ago!"

"Well I don't know how but she got burnt. I think it was the explosion. We have to hurry before someone finds them!"

Gally begins to follow Cassie.

"Whoa whoa whoa!" Minho yells. "Gally, we don't know this girl! We gotta get Newt outta here first!"

"Gally please—" Thomas said.

Not knowing who to choose first, Gally turns to Cassie. "Who else is with her?"

More screams and yells from each side. A car gets thrown and they all duck down and watch the vehicle crash into a brick wall. They get back up.

"Those weirdos that live inside the toy store," said Cassie. "Jared and them?"

He shakes his head. "No clue."

"GALLY!" Minho yells at him. "C'mon! We're losing time!"

"Look, tell MK I'm coming but I have to get my friend out of here first, he's turning and we need serum for him."

"Gally," Cassie looks at him sternly. "She's hurt. She needs you."

"MK needs you for now, go back and help her. "

"But she needs you," she repeats. "Remember the promise I made?"

Gally did remember the promise like it was yesterday. "I need her too . . . alive."

"I think we all need her alive," Minho comments sarcastically.

The four of them run off, leaving Cassie to shake her head at them and she runs the other direction back to the street where she met the group.

"What promise?" Minho asks, following Gally.

"Gally, who was that?" Thomas asks, his shoulder and neck cramping from carrying Newt." How do you know her?"

He doesn't give them an answer and keeps ahead of them.

The gun range built in the mall was always quiet except for when the guns would go off during practice. There was Cassie Amber, the girl who had the same motive as everyone else outside those walls: to defeat WCKD, and then there was Gally, who had recently cut his hair off and was already trained in combat and is in midst of becoming certified to holding a gun and knowing how to use one.