viii. THE LAST CITY.

the 1975 // the city.

THE FOLLOWING HOUR, MK STOOD by the hole created from the floor, similar to a sewage drain. Everyone came forward, looking below the darkness that led one down. Gally was first. He lowered the ladder, wearing a different pair of boots and pants, a big grey hoodie to cover his shirt.

"Be careful Thomas," Jorge whispers to him, Thomas responding with a pat on his shoulder.

"Gally," Frypan says, bending down at the hole. "Take care of these two."

"Yeah."

He's really gonna do it. MK walks over, hanging her foot over the hole.

"What are you doing?" Gally asks, stopping himself from climbing down.

"I'm coming with you," she says.

"Oh no no no. You're staying with us," Jorge says, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You're still recovering from your bleeding head."

"Plus you fainted," Brenda pointed out.

MK refused. What happened to her didn't matter anymore. They just reunited and now one of them is gonna leave again?

Gally kisses her forehead. "Lawrence said only two people can come with me. I'll come back, I promise." Gally descends down the ladder, then Thomas and Newt, who covered his arms with his sleeves as quickly as he could.

MK took noticed of that as soon as she got back on her feet, but her eyes were found somewhere at the back of Lawrence's spot, where she could see someone staring dead at her with a blank expression, before quickly disappearing into another hallway.

She remembered what she looked like the next time she saw her. Roughly their age but she was only assuming, messy blonde hair lighter than Gally's dirty blonde hair, pale skin, her look from behind had a striking resemblance to Sonya but something was definitely off about her. She couldn't see half of her face and could only make out what she could see from afar just seconds before.

And to add on, she looked like she didn't appreciate seeing Lawrence with the group. MK brushes it off. So many people they run into would always look at them like they grew six heads with toes for eyes.

"I'm glad you liked the rose," Lawrence points out, who stood far away from them.

MK blushes and twirls it around without pricking her finger on the thorn. "I remember my mom would display flowers at the dinner table."

"You never told us about you two, mija," Jorge said, not elaborating.

"Huh?"

"You and that Gally boy."

"I remember you and Thomas were arguing about him in the truck. I thought he was your pet dog or something," Brenda said.

Well then. "No, we've been together since the start."

"What happened?" Brenda asked.

"It's kind of a long story. Are you both gonna end up falling asleep?"

Brenda and Jorge look at each other with a smug smile. "We got time."

GALLY LIFTS THE SWITCH UP, LIGHTING UP the path down the sewer. Thomas never thought anything else would top the stench of all the body odour and cranks, but he forgot about the sewer. He didn't think he remembered hanging out underneath the roads for fun just to smell inside.