x. YOU LOST THE PROMISE RING?

ben kendrick // all i can do.

"NO, THERE'S GOTTA BE ANOTHER WAY." Thomas didn't agree with the plan. After what went down months ago, there's no way they could trust Teresa to let them in, if one way she would rat them out to WCKD, or have a weapon on her to pull out.

Gally asks, "Like what? You've seen the building, she is our only way in."

"You really think she's gonna help us?" Thomas asks.

"I don't plan on asking for her permission," Gally says. Gally also doesn't plan on making any social calls with her anyway, or inviting her to a party, knowing he didn't really like her from the start.

"Am I missing something here? This is the same girl who betrayed us, correct?" Brenda inquired. "Same dick?"

"I like her," Gally says to Thomas.

Brenda looks at Thomas. "What's going on?"

Thomas doesn't say anything. It was MK's turn to talk, "She really crossed the line. I wouldn't trust her, but she did do her part before we were even here. I say we lure her and make her help us or else someone's gonna have to pull the gun out if she says no."

"So we're just gonna threaten her?" Brenda said.

"Thomas is gonna have to do it. She's probably gonna give into him more than she would us."

A thought came in, Thomas still wasn't sure. He was overall pissed at Teresa, but MK putting everything together and hovering over him as if Teresa was his problem?

"What? Are you afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt, hmm?" Newt raised his voice. "Because this has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho, has it?"

They all listened and watched.

"Newt, what are you talking about?" Thomas asked.

"Teresa," Newt specified. "She's the only reason that Minho's even missing in the first place. Now that we finally have an opportunity to get him back, and what? You don't want to because of her?"

Thomas looks at Newt, a different turn of how Newt was speaking to him, rapid but cracked voice. He's never spoken to him like this.

"Because deep down inside you still care about her, don't you?! Just admit it!" Newt sneers at him, walking closer to him, causing Thomas to back up against the wall.

"Newt, I- "

"DON'T LIE TO ME!" Newt slams him against the hard surface, sending everyone's hearts dropping to their stomachs. Brenda covers her mouth, Frypan gets his rested elbows off the table, and MK steps back a bit. "Don't lie to me!"

The awkward, uncomfortable silence filled the room, and everyone just watched Newt let go of Thomas as he looked down with guilt.

"Sorry," he whispers, realizing the scene he had just made. He turns to the group. "I'm sorry." And he walks out, Thomas following him.

The rest of the group gave Newt some space, learning that Thomas is probably talking to Newt outside on the balcony. They thought it would take a few minutes for things to settle down until they could come back inside.

Minutes later, MK stepped out onto the roof and found Newt sitting at the ledge. The sun was shining down on the skylight inside at the table, so when she began walking up to Newt, she could already feel the heat burning up her grey sweater. Not even the walls or the buildings inside the city could create shade unless they came closer.