Chapter 13

"Ariel just talk to the camera! Everyone else is listening! Why are you being so difficult?" Cole said, exasperated as I refused to look into the lens.

"Because it's no fun if I listen to you. I like being problematic. It keeps things interesting." I said with an evil smirk as I pulled books out of my locker.

"If we get a bad grade on this project because you refuse to cooperate you won't be laughing then." Cole said, trying to sound threatening.

"We won't. Collins will think it's hilarious. And I'm still mostly cooperating, I'm just not speaking directly to the camera. That's all." I said as I closed my locker.

"You're probably right." Cole said, "However, that does not change the fact that I am asking you to cooperate for my well-being." He said.

I just smirked and winked at him as we began walking to class, "So, how is your relationship with Jake going?" Cole asked, simply starting conversation.

I shrugged, "It's fine." I said.

He quirked an eyebrow, "Really?" He asked.

I narrowed my eyes, "If you want to say something, say it." I said.

He shrugged, "I don't know, I just... I think there's something up with him." Cole said.

"You too?" I asked.

He looked confused but decided to not say anything, "Ariel, I'm not going to say I really knew him before you two got together, but I did know of him. And It wasn't necessarily good things. I think you're too good for him." Cole said.

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused, "I'm not saying to break up with him or anything, that's your choice and if he makes you happy then he makes you happy. I'm just asking you to be careful." He said.

I stayed quiet, not saying anything as we walked into class.

"But back to my original question. How are you two?" He asked as we sat down.

I shrugged, "Like I said, they're fine."

He smirked, "What do you mean by 'fine'?"He asked.

I sighed, "I don't know. He's been really sweet and everything but he gets into moods. You witnessed one last week at lunch. He'll want to do something, like go to the party or hang out, and I won't be able to or won't want to and he'll get pissy and whiny. It's weird but he eventually gets out of them." I said.

Cole was quiet before speaking, "Alright then."

I gave him a look, "Stop acting like that. I've already said it once. If you want to say something, say it. I value not only yours, but everyone else's opinions. Like you said, you've known him longer." I said.

Cole just shook his head, "It's nothing, Ariel. Just be careful. None of us want to see you get hurt." He said before the class started and I was forced to put the thought to the back of my mind.

After school that day, I was walking with Maya to my car, "Have you talked to Lucas lately?" Maya asked.

"Um, not recently, why?" I asked her as we reached my car.

"He wasn't here today, and he's been acting weird recently." Maya said.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "How weird?" I asked.

"I don't know. He's just been really quiet. He just sits there, doesn't say anything. I think something might be wrong." She said.

I thought for a second as we reached my car and climbed inside, "I don't know. I haven't watched Clara for a while, her mom has the week off so she's been home." I said.