Chapter 31

Max and I spent the whole afternoon together, him showing me the best rides. It was a great day. I got to forget about all of the problems that I'd faced beforehand. I didn't have to worry about people looking or whispering whenever I passed them. Max was a great guy to be around. He was funny, smart, and kind. 

We were walking down the street to Looney Toon Town, splitting an order of french fries between the two of us when we found the others.

"So have you been purposely avoiding us all day for any specific reason?" I asked when we reached them sitting at a table, making a few of them jump since they hadn't seen us coming.

"Jesus Christ. You know, one of these days, you really are going to give me a heart attack." Cole said, staring daggers at me. 

I just smiled sweetly, "Answer my question, Cole." I said.

He rolled his eyes, "I don't know. We all just kind of appeared here like five minutes ago. I guess you two were just late to the party." He said with a shrug.

I just rolled my eyes with a smile, "Anyways, how was your guys' day?" I asked.

They all shrugged, "We didn't really do any rides. Just kinda walked around. Maya was to scared she was gonna puke." Miles said as him, Maya, and Aaron rolled their eyes.

"Shut up. Can we go back to the hotel? I'm going to pass out from exhaustion." She said.

"Alright. Let's get the drunkard into be before she bites all of our heads off." Tyler said as Maya launched across the table to slap his arm while all of us laughed. 

And with that we made our way back down to the parking lot and piled into my car. We stopped at a pizza place down the street for dinner and then headed back to the hotel.

We all decided to hang out in one room together for a while, and piled onto the beds and chairs, "So, Max," Tyler spoke up, "where do you go to school? I never asked." He questioned. 

"Grey Prep. It's about fifteen minutes outside of Boston. It's a dumb rich kid school." He said, shrugging it off.

Cole smirked, "Are you calling yourself a dumb rich kid?" He asked and Max laughed.

He shook his head, "The only reason I'm actually able to afford that place is because I'm on a sports scholarship." He said.

"That's sick, what sport?" Miles spoke up.

"Football, Hockey, and Lacrosse." He said.

"Impressive. Are you any good?" Brianna asked.

He shrugged, "I mean they pay my whole tuition so I must be decent enough." He said.

With that, Aaron said something that made the conversation shift, and we talked about other things for a while, before David spoke, "I wanna go to the pool. Let's go." 

Everyone went to go and get their bathing suits, "I think I'm gonna stay here in the room. I have some homework I want to try and get done." I said.

Everyone looked at me with a straight face, "You're kidding, right?" Cole asked.

I gave him a look, "No? I have a ton of summer work to do, and I want to get it done early so I don't have to cram last minute. Besides I don't really feel like going swimming." I said.

He shook his head, "I will never understand you, Ariel." He said with a laugh.

I just rolled my eyes with a smile before Max spoke up, "Actually, I think I'll keep you company." he said to me.

I smiled and gestured for him to follow me to my room, "Come on." 

Twenty minutes later, I was lying on one of the beds, doing AP Stats work, while Max flipped through the channels on the TV.