Book Two: 9

Scarlett

"Scarlett, we have another order of 2 dozen cupcakes for a children's party. I sent you the design and details"

"Thanks Samantha" I muttered while picking up the dirty plates.

I pause and thought of last night.

"Scarlett!" I jump and dropped the plates

"I-I'm sorry." I squatted down and started to pick up tiny pieces of the broke plates, "Ow" I hissed in pain as I looked at my bleeding finger

"You don't look like yourself today Scarlett. You should go home and rest" Samantha frowns and I shake my head in response

"I'll be fine Samantha. It's h-"

"Please Scarlett. You don't want to loose customers. Come on now..."

I chuckle and take my apron off "you're right. I'll be back tomorrow though"

Smells good. Feels good. Looks good. Just what I needed

I brushed my fingers against the cool grass as I lay on my mat. Instead of going home, I chose to spend time at the park. I mean, it has been a while since I gave myself a free time, why not do it now?

Plus, I needed to think about last night.

Can we talk?

The three dots made me anxious of what he's going to say

Go on?

Did you love someone before Danielle?

No. Why do you want to know?

Just curious...

Ok.

Okay wait. Are you really telling me the truth because someone told me that you did.

Who?

Did you love someone before Danielle?

Who told you Scarlett?

So you did?

Yes.

I paused and took a deep breath. Emilio was right. He did love someone. It is true that we're no longer together but the fact that he didn't talk to me about it or anything with his life at all pains me.

Why didn't you tell me?

We weren't even together for a long time. You left me remember? You left and never came back. You didn't even look back. You kept walking. I had to accidentally meet you in a cafe.

You don't tell me anything. Even when we opened up to each other but turns out, what you told me wasn't even half of your story.

Well, what do you want to know then? Since you're so curious.

What do you really do in your company? Who is she?

Anything but that.

If you don't answer then fine.

I can't tell you Scarlett.

You asked me what I want to know and that's what I want to know.

Well I don't want you to know about that okay?

I just want to know

All you did was talk about your depressing shit and your parents. There's probably more about you but you don't see me bothering you about it. Quit being a bother like your parents.

I looked at the sky, realizing that I have started to cry. I understand that it's not my right to ask and thinking about it, I probably am bothering him. I am so stupid to ask but it really hit me when he mentioned my parents.

I haven't heard from my parents and I know that they didn't do much for me. All they did was satisfy themselves but they're still my parents and I miss them.

They used to be the best parents. My mom would teach me how to cook. My dad would take me to the playground and we would play castle. He was the prince and I was the princess he is trying to save but after they got promoted, things went south... They stopped caring about me. They stopped helping me with my school and life problems. They stopped loving me... all they cared for was their work. It was as if their work is their child.

I became a shadow in the family and even though they weren't the best, they still at one point took care of me and I just wonder if they are alive and healthy.

"Scarlett..." a familiar voice said. I sat up and squinted my eyes to see clearly.

"I'm gonna go." I mumble picking up my stuff, about to leave but I felt his hands wrap around my wrist.

"I apologize for what I did"

"Do me a favor and shove that apology up your ass"

I yank my hand away from his grip and continued to walk away from him

"Can you just hear me out? Please"

"I tried to listen. I tried to understand but I'm done"

"I heard Michael died"

I stopped walking and turned to face him

"He is dead and you weren't even there to visit him"

"Like you were" I balled my hand into a fist, about to punch him but I felt someone place their hand against my back

"Is this stranger bothering you?"

"I am not a stranger"

"Yes he is" I mumbled

"You better leave now or I will make you leave"

"Gee. I'm so sc-" before I know it, he's on the ground, holding his stomach

"Let's go"

I nod and followed him to his car.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Thanks" I look down at my fingers

"I'm sorry about last night"

"I just want to go home Alessandro"

"Let me take you somewhere before I take you home"

I sigh, nodding in defeat.

"Who was that?"

"Someone from my past that I don't want to see ever again"