TWENTY-FOUR

"Maa,Bua Maa don't worry! nothing will happen to Nandani and Manik! Aap log himmat mat haarein !"After wiping my incoherent tears I Kneeled down infront of my moms.

Two tears again trickled down my chin as I thought of them being all happy and cheerful before these mournful accidents.

"Ye sab kia hogya Bhabhi!Mere donu bache...."Bua maa's crying words left in middle as maa pulled her in a hug.

"Dad!"Dad who was standing in one corner all gloomy and depressed raised his eyes at me and I gestured him towards my crying moms.

"Suman,Anjali! Keep faith in God!Kuch nhi hoga donu ko!"Dad came towards us and tried to console them but they didn't listen instead they kept crying.
"Pta nhi kiski nazar lag gayi mere bacho ko!Ye donu tou kisi ka bura sochte tak nhi hain!"Maa cried and I held her palm at her laps when a voice from behind startled us.

"Mr.Malhotra!"

"Yes doctor !How are my kids ?"Dad asked frantically while we ladies stood behind him in anticipation.

"Your son is perfectly fit and fine!We have removed the bullet from his shoulder and he is recovering very well!"Doctor smiled and we all sighed.

"Thankgod!"Maa and bua maa mumbled together.

"And what about my daughter?"Bua maa asked and the smile on doctors face vanished.

A fear engulfed in my heart instantly.

God!Please don't snatch the little joy from us!

"Is everything right doctor?"I slurred.

"I'm sorry! We couldn't save the child but your daughter is absolutely fine!"As soon as these words reached my ears,I stumbled back and thumped on the accommodation chair behind.

"What?Doctor you are having some misunderstanding!My daughter wasn't pregnant in fact she isn't married yet!"Dad scrunched his nose in confusion when I whispered from behind,

"He is right Dad! Nandani was pregnant!"I was in daze before but now my tears had found their escape.

The doctor left from there considering it our personal issue.

The three elders turn towards me and I palmed my face,crying bitterly.

"Nandani--and--Manik--love each other!"I cried and they all stood there motionless.

"Wo donu bohot pyaar karte hain ek dusre se bua maa!"I stood up and held her hands but she didn't give any reaction.Her eyes were stuck somewhere.

I turned my head towards the source and my eyes widened seeing Mehra family standing there.

"Mehra sahab !"Dad muttered and was about to put forth his hand for a shake when Mehra uncle showed dad his palm.