Chapter 1

"No- StOp! Alex!"
"Stop being such a fucking baby John."
"I don't wanna go- they're all prejudice assholes!"
"Don't call her an asshole!"
"You aren't even dating her- you don't even know her!" John snatched his arm away from Alex. The Fence was visible, and if anyone were paying attention, they would see them and hear their conversation.
"Alex, what's the point?" For once, the short man didn't have anything to say.
"Why even try? You're a Shadow, she's a Light. Might as well give it up now. Broken hearts aren't easy to heal." John walked away back into the darkness of the streets, Alex not following. Instead, Alex turned on his heels and continued to the Fence.

"Hey, I'm not that hungry. Ima go for a walk, okay" Eliza said standing from the dinner table. She brought her dishes and put them in the sink before heading out the back door.
"Eliza, where are you going?" Angelica asked from the doorway.
"O-on a walk. I just said that Angie." The older sister raised an eyebrow, knowing there's more to it than that.
"Elizabeth" she said in a warning tone.
"...okay fine. I'm going to the Fence-"
"And what for? You know we don't like you going there alone. Why are are you going?" Eliza looked away from Angelica, not answering.
"Eliza."
"There was this...one person...that I may or may not like..."
"A Shadow? No, you're staying here."
"Angelica!"
"Eliza, what's the point? All he's gonna do is break your heart, and you can't even have a relationship because of the rules. Shadows are dangerous, selfish, and I don't want you around them." Eliza looked at her older sister with a mixture of shock and annoyance before angrily making her way to her room, silently closing the door behind her.

Eliza locked her door and turned some music on, making a dummy out of pillows in her bed. Satisfied, she kept the music on and snuck out the window, disappearing from the Schuyler property and making her way to the Fence.

'Oh gosh, what if she's not here? Did I make the wrong choice? What if she won't talk to me because I'm a Shadow? Calm down Alex, hold yourself together!' Alex's thoughts were racing through his mind as he paced back and forth by a willow tree. This willow was the only thing that the Fence went through, and because it's on both sides of it, it was a gray color. Not a Light, nor Shadow tree.
"Nervous?" Alex's head shot up to see a female figure leaning on the Fence. It was her.
"N-no, I, um, w-well, just....fuck..." was all Alex could manage out of his mouth.
"Elizabeth Schuyler" Eliza said introducing herself. Alex walked over.
"Alexander Hamilton- Why are you talking to me?" The sudden question surprised Eliza.
"Well, uh..."
"Like you're a Light. I'm a Shadow. Why would you talk to me?"
"...truth?" Alex nodded. Eliza continued.
"Not to sound creepy, but when my sister and I were out here we saw you and some of your friends. She thought the freckled one was cute, I thought you were..." Alex blushed, but Eliza couldn't tell because of the darkness on that side of the Fence.
"Oh, well thanks. I think you are too." It was Eliza's turn to blush, which was visible because of the brightness. Alex noticed and smiled at the ground, kinda glad he left John behind.