Chapter 12

Rewind~

"Why do you guys like going to the Fence so much?" Eliza asked her childhood friend Kathrine.
"Because."
"Wow, that helps."
"Ease up on the sarcasm Peggy." Peggy rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, following her older sisters and Kat in boredom.

"Why are we down here? It's blinding me" Alex complained as Hercules carried him over his shoulder like a sack.
"You haven't slept in three weeks and you haven't left your room for two of them" John stated.
"...so?"
"Also I knew you'd want a drink or two."
"That, my friend, is correct."

"Gosh, it's so dark I can't see anything" Eliza said.
"Your eyes will adjust hun." Eliza squinted, looking into the dark. And her breath was taken away. Before she knew it she was blushing madly and had tripped on nothing, trying to keep her cool.

"Herc put me down now."
"Why? So you can run away?"
"There's a cute girl and you're carrying me like a sack of potatoes."
"If she wants to date you she has to accept our weirdness first."
"It's like the song man. 'If you wanna be my lover you gotta get with my friends'" John sung, trying to look for this girl Alex was talking about.
'I'm not jealous, not at all' he thought.

"O shit" Peggy said to herself. 'The freckled one is cute- he's looking loOk away!' Peggy looked straight ahead then down at her feet, smiling.

'Am I straight? Nah...bisexual?' John looked up at Alex then down at his feet smiling. 'Nah.' He looked at the girl again. '...maybe...'

~Present~

Eliza practically ran into Alex's arms, which were already open for her embrace.

"Hercules" Peggy said.
"Y-yeah?"
"Can you show me the way to the hospital?"

"I'm booorrreeed, I'm boorrrreeed." John turned the tv on and off again and again. He was dying of boredom. Within seconds his hospital door flew open and he was engulfed in a hug. Realizing who it was, John hugged back.
"P-Peggy?" She nodded, burying her face in his chest. Without another word, the two stayed there in each other's arms.

Rewind~

There were three quiet knocks on the apartment door. Alex didn't even bother to stop writing and took another sip of his coffee. There were three more knocks, a little louder this time. He ignored it once more. But one thing he couldn't ignore were the muffled sobs coming from outside. He walked over and opened the door to see Miss Maria Lewis sitting next to the door, crying and shivering.

"Maria, you have to leave him. This is the third time you've been here like this in the last two weeks." The two were now in the apartment's small kitchen, Alex drinking coffee and Maria drinking hot chocolate. Maria was currently wearing one of Alex's hoodies, one that he stole from John, which was overly big on her. Less like a long hoodie and more like a short dress.
"Alex, you know if I try to..."
"I know. I just hate seeing you like this." Maria sat her empty cup in the sink.
"Where's John?" She asked.
"Asleep. Hangover." Maria nodded. There was an awkward silence between the two before Maria took Alex's face and kissed him. Alex pulled away.
"Maria..."
"Just, one last time?" Alex wished he didn't look into her eyes. Any other time he would see fear, hopelessness in them. But tonight, and any other night she came, there was a spark of hope and security, safety, whenever she was around him. She needed Alex. How could he say no to this?

John groaned, the loud alarm clock making his headache worse. He quickly disarmed it and slid out of bed, walking to Alex's room to see if he slept any. He quietly opened the door and saw him and Maria fast asleep. He closed it and went to the kitchen, making two cups of coffee. 'If Alex wants a cup, he can make one himself.' John was done with Alex's bullshit. With him playing with his feelings. John didn't know whether it was him or the hangover talking, but today was the day he was going to break up with him.
You'd think Alex would've learned his lesson after this, but it kept happening well into his and Eliza's relationship. John just hoped history wouldn't repeat itself.