{17} Fight Back

3rd Person POV

Mia watches Thomas leave and her eyes trailed down towards Newt's body. She drags herself towards his body and gasped, dropping down to her knees.

Mia cried out, "Newt! Oh, God! No! Come on, please don't leave me! Newt!"

She laid her head on his chest and sobbed, "We need you. I need you, okay? God damn it! Damn it! Come on, Newt!"

Minho, Frypan, Gally, and Brenda finally made it, and their expressions were full of depression and grief.

Brenda gasped and covered her mouth, "Oh, God."

Mia kept on crying and screaming. Minho limps over to Mia, kneeling down next to her.

Minho sniffled and places his hands on Mia's waist, attempting to move her away from Newt's body. He knew how emotional she gets when losing someone. He notices how Mia changes and that vulnerable side explodes.

"No! No! We can't leave him, okay? We can't!" Mia told him, with his arms wrapped around Mia's shoulders, holding her close

She continued sobbing, "I could've saved Newt. I should've. I was too late, Minho. I was too late."

Minho kisses the side of her head, with tears falling down his cheeks onto the top of Mia's head.

Frypan, Gally, and Brenda were slowly approaching Newt's body, analyzing his body up close. They all dropped to their knees and cries out soft sobs

Mia examines Newt's body carefully and noticed that the knife was on his abdominal side. "Newt's not dead."

"What?" Minho asked sniffling

Mia moves out of Minho's grip and removed the knife and told Brenda, "B, give me your belt!"

Brenda hands over Mia her belt then Mia wraps the belt around Newt's waist and his wound, creating a tourniquet

"We could save him. We have to save him." Mia inserts the serum on Newt's arm and removes it once she noticed it was empty

"We're gonna save Newt, okay?" Mia said wiping her tears quickly

"How?" Frypan asked and Gally said, "Mia..."

"We're gonna save him!" Mia told them, "Fry, Minho, you guys are gonna take Newt and carry him onto the plane."

"Mia..." Minho said and Mia replied, "Just do it, okay? We could save Newt. The wound is not near his organ. He could still make it."

"Gally, you're gonna cover for them." Mia replied and she got up. "We still got time."

They all stood up and Brenda said, "Mia...this is crazy. Just think about it, for a second. Alright, you're not thinking straight."

"I know what I'm doing, Brenda! We could save Newt." Mia said to her

Frypan replied, "Mia, Brenda's right. Newt's-"

"No, he's not! Okay, he's not!" Mia responded. "If Teresa's right about everything she said, about Thomas and I being some kind of solution to all of this, I'm going to do something about it."

"If I couldn't save Chuck, Alby, Winston, and countless more kids, I could change that now. Because now that I know that I could be a solution, I could save Newt. Thomas and I saved you, B. We could save Newt too." Mia continued

Gally pointed out, "Mia, what about those kids on the plane? They could get infected too."

"Yeah, and Vince is on the plane. Remember the time when Vince was gonna kill me because I was turning. What makes you think that Vince is gonna let Newt in?" Brenda asked her

Mia responded licking her lips, "Tell Vince this, okay? You could mark my words. Just give Newt a week. If nothing changes and Newt's still like this, I'll kill Newt myself."

"Mia..." Minho's voice softened

"Please, guys." Mia said to him, "We could save him. We need to."

They all slowly nod their heads and Mia nods her head, "I gotta get Thomas back. He's not thinking straight either, alright? WCKD made it personal."

Before Mia left, she turns back around hearing Brenda call out, "Black Widow!"

Brenda tossed Mia her sniper gun. Mia caught it and Brenda said to her, "Fight back!"

Mia nods at her with a hardened expression. She turns around and whispered, "I'm coming for you, Tom."

Mia bolted out of there heading to the WCKD building.

---

Mia slowly entered the building with the rifle in hand, ready to fire. She hears Thomas's footsteps and observed their conversation

Thomas slowly approaches Dr. Ava Paige, aiming directly at her. Dr. Ava Paige turns around, facing him.

"Is it true?" Thomas's eyes filled with tears

"Is it true?" Thomas's eyes filled with tears. "Newt. Could I've saved him?"

"You could save us all." Dr. Ava Paige responded

Thomas was tempted at pulling the trigger but his hand was shaking. He started to breathe heavily then tossed the gun to the side

Dr. Ava Paige strolled towards him as Thomas was staring at the ground with tears slowly falling down, "Please."

"Just leave the others alone." Thomas said letting soft sobs. "Please...just leave Mia out of this. Please, just take me, instead. I...can't lose Mia. I love her. Don't take her away from me again, please."

"I promise." Dr. Ava Paige told him.

Mia's eyes were burned with a vengeance into the sniper scope. She aims at the back Dr. Ava Paige's head and pulls the trigger.

The gunshot fired and Thomas's eyes widen at Dr. Ava Paige's body that landed on the ground.

Mia strutted to Thomas, still holding the rifle in her hand. Thomas's eyes trailed from the bottom of her body to her face. He noticed the sinister look in her eyes.

Mia kept her chocolate eyes on Dr. Ava Paige and held the rifle again, pointing at her.

"Mia..." Thomas said softly. "Mia..."

She glanced over at Thomas and slowly puts down the rifle. "Hey, Tom."

"What the hell are you doing here?" Thomas asked.

Mia said with confidence, "Saving you, you shank. I'm not leaving you behind."

"Baby, you shouldn't be here. Get out of here while you still can, okay?" Thomas said to her

"We're in this together, Tom. Always, remember?" Mia said to him.

"Of course he remembers, Mia." Janson called out and fired at Mia. He used the WCKD weapon that electrocutes.

Mia was shaking on the ground and screaming in pain feeling her heart pounding, "Thomas! Thomas!"

"Mia! No! Mia!" Thomas yelled out and Janson fired at Thomas too.

Thomas ended up on the ground shaking beside Mia. He tried reaching out for his gun but Janson kicked it to the side.

Thomas and Mia made eye-contact and their hands slowly intertwined with each other.

"You both should've run." Janson told them before they both drifted to sleep, fluttering their eyes closed.