{22} Encountering Fears

3rd Person POV

Back then when Mia wasn't in the maze and wasn't involved with WCKD, Mia was always by her family's side. Usually, she would just stay home at their small cottage to play with her toys, just simply enjoying her life as a child.

With her older brother, Minho, she'd always enjoy spending time with him. They would have the small traditions that they would do together. Such as arts and crafts, sports, and their favorite: running in nature playing tag and/or hide and seek.

This pair of siblings has always been so close since their parents work pretty far away. This pair has always acted like best friends.

Their relationship is unlike any other, meaning even if they were stuck in an imperfect world, their family, their childhood was perfect.

What's even more perfect was their parents' love story. The ultimate love story of Jae and Athena. The lovers that went wrong.

It all started at WCKD, some may say, however, it all started at a train station. Athena was on one side and Jae was in the another. It was by far the definition of love at first sight.

Once they made eye-contact, both of them felt something. Love? No, not exactly. More like sparks. And with one smile. That one smile changed everything.

Now with two children and secretly hiding them, Jae and Athena had to be careful yet still wanted the children to feel loved and happy.

One night, Mia was getting ready for bed and her dad lifted her up laughing. Mia giggled and said, "Dad! Hi!"

He lifted her onto the bed and tucked her in, "Hey, princess."

"Hey, dad. How's work?" Mia smiled as her dad placed the blanket over her

"Eh, same old same old." Jae's face full of happiness. "I couldn't wait to come here and see my beautiful family."

"Of course he meant he couldn't wait to see me, right, dad?" Minho walked in and hopped into the bed

"What's up, bud?" Jae grinned over at Minho

"Nothing much. I beat Mia in tag today." Minho pointed out

Mia's eyes widen and glanced over at Minho and said back, "No, you didn't, you cheated."

"No, I did not."

"Did too."

"I did not."

"Did too."

"Mom!" They both called out and Athena walks into the room and crossed her arms, "What are my children bickering about now?"

"He cheated on our game of tag today." Mia responded

Athena stood across from Jae and told her children, "Well, did you guys have fun?"

Minho nodded his head, "Yeah, but-"

"No, but, okay? You guys had fun and you're both happy. It doesn't matter who wins or loses. It matters if you both had a good time." Athena pointed out

"Your mother's right." Jae added and Athena commented, "I'm always right."

Minho and Mia chuckled and laughed along with their parents.

"Both of you, promise us something, okay?" Jae asked

Minho asked back, "What is it?"