Chapter Twelve: Secrets & Truths

Chapter 12: Secrets and Truths

It didn't seem like they were going to stop. I clenched my knuckles to keep myself from cutting each of their throats.

It took me a moment to realize they were running away from the original topic.

"Are any of you gonna tell me what the heck is happening down here?" The laughter stopped immediately. They looked at each other. I gave Ryan a questioned look who was still holding me. He let go and turned towards Noah, who was sharing an equal look.

I saw Jack whispering something to Stefan. When he stepped back, dad looked at me. They look- nervous? Cautious? Hideous? I didn't give it much thought when my inner voice reached a conclusion.

They might be doing some dark works. Like black marketing, mafia, it said.

I wasn't quite convinced.

But they are businessmen, you doofus! You don't know what they can do.

I couldn't exactly let it go too. So before Stefan would try to make a lame excuse, I spoke up like an idiot I am, "You're all included with black marketings and mafias?"

When they did nothing but stared at me, my suspicions grew up. "I knew you guys were up to something! That's why you all are here? All of you are involved, right?"

I looked at Ryan. For some reason, he seemed lost in words. Caleb slapped his forehead and stepped in shoving Ryan out of his way, who was taken by the bold move.

"It's not what you think it is Stella," he said. I crossed my arms and waited for his explanation.

"Then what is it?"

"Please don't freak out or assume the conclusion for the starter," he said. "Well, where to begin with-" he scratched the back of his neck and looked at Ryan for help.

Ryan rolled his eyes and saw me looking at him with a not so amused look. He sighed. "It's not mafia business. It's just a family business."

I raised an eyebrow. "And such businesses were supposed to take place underground?" Were they shooting some stupid Tom Cruise films? If so, they should let me know before it's too late. I hate his guts.

"This isn't underground," he protested.

"But I fell from a good height when that," I pointed at the dog who was looking back and forth between us. "Chased me all the way down here."

He chuckled and the dog ran towards him at the moment. He patted its head. "She's harmless."

"How do you know it's a-" I stopped saying anything else. "It's your pet."

He nodded. "Now that you're introduced with Oreo, let's go back where we were." He said. "You see, it's not as bad as it looks like. But it would be better if your dad explains the things to you. Because your family is more involved here than others."

Your family is more involved, words rang my ears. Most of the people in the room were Stefan's friends who came here earlier in the morning. Were they working together?

"Anything is fine by me," I said. Everyone looked hopefully at Stefan.

"I don't wanna involve her here. She deserved a much better life," he said.

"That won't make me stop and you should know it. If you don't say, I'll find another way," I told him stubbornly.

"Okay," he sighed. "Let's talk about it somewhere else."