Chapter 6

It was nearly four months since their impromptu picnic. Tanvi completed her semester one exams. She was completing some of her pending activities and then would go home for the most deserved four-week holiday.

All her tickets were booked. She was looking forward to meet her parents. But she would miss him. These four months, though grueling, proved to be bearable because of his undeniable presence. 

"So Tanu, will you come to my place when you are in Hyderabad? I'm so looking forward to meet you there. We'll go shopping and do all the girl stuff. What do you think?" 

"Of course Si, I'll meet you as planned. I'll call you as soon as I reach there. Did you pack all your stuff, tickets and everything? Why should you go today? Just two more days we could've travelled together." 

"It's my dad's doing and I don't want to cancel confirmed tickets dear. So what, it's only two days. Besides, you have him to distract you," she added slyly. 

"Yeah right! as if he is going to sleep here," Tanvi added sarcastically. 

"That's in your hands Tanu. I've seen you guys together. Even a blind man can say you completely complement each other. Why delay the inevitable?" 

"Nah, I like it, just this feeling of being wooed. It's an amazing space to be in." 

Sia's eyes widened. "You are a cold-hearted bitch, you know," she added in amazement. 

Tanvi just laughed. 

****

Arjun and Abhi were in the canteen for lunch. Some instinct told him Tanvi was here and looked up. He saw her looking for him. Her face lit up like a Diwali night when she found him. Sometimes, she was exasperating because she never took his hand, but at times like these, he felt like a king indeed. 

He knew that she was more than comfortable with him. They mostly dined together, if their schedules permitted, and she would sit very close to him. They frequently met at the gym and relaxed together post their workout routines. She was easy company. She was a good listener and asked penetrating questions. 

She demanded nothing from him. Anything new, he wanted to discuss and share it with her at once and off-late he found her opinions mattered to him. At times like that, he felt her to be older than her 18 years. 

"Hey Arjun, hi Abhi. What did you get for lunch?" 

"Pulao and chicken gravy, it's very good." 

"Can I try it?" 

She picked up his spoon and ate a spoonful. 

"I think I'll get that too."

She went away to get her food. 

"You know she doesn't mind eating with my spoon but never takes my hand. It's kind of killing me Abhi. I want to break her lovely neck." 

Abhi choked on his food and laughed out aloud. "She is good for you then," he simply declared.

"Everything is final, Arjun. We'll leave sometime around 10am tomorrow and tonight I've scheduled a meeting here in the canteen to cross check all our items, safety gear, water, food, camping equipment and the like" 

"Which group you want me to lead?" Arjun asked

"Group-B, they look pretty weak and that's where I want you." 

Tanvi came back with her food and sat beside Arjun, "Who is Group-B Abhi? And what are you talking about?" 

"We are planning for a trekking trip to Devarayanadurga. It's about 75 kms from here. I've booked a shuttle to take us there. We are about 30 people going. And I've organized them in groups of 6. It'll be an overnight trek, camping then we'll watch the beautiful sunrise there. We'll be back by Sunday noon or evening if everything goes fine." 

"Arjun you did not tell me about this. Is there a way for me to join? I need to take the Monday morning flight to Hyderabad. I'm quite free for the weekend."

"Abhi is the organizer here and he gets to decide who'll be on the team," Arjun declared and looked at Abhi mockingly.

Abhi gave him a withering look and did not answer. Tanvi was oblivious to all these and pleaded Abhi, "Could I join Abhi?Please?"

Abhi sighed and asked, "Do you have previous trekking experience?" 

"Is it mandatory? I don't." 

"But you work out every day, right? so you should be fine.We'll put you in Group-B, as well. Arjun, no mooning over her?" 

Tanvi was embarrassed and flushed deeply. She left to put her plate away. 

Arjun scowled at him, "It'll be better you learnt some manners." 

Abhi didn't back down, "It'll be better if you bed her soon. You are salivating and I can't take it anymore, mongrel." 

Abhi left with a huff before Arjun could reply. Off late, he found Abhi more moodier than usual and always withdrawn. He checked if he was into drugs, but found no evidence. Something was amiss. He had to draw him out and find, what was happening. It was like the old times, when often Abhi withdrew, Arjun patiently spoke to him and brought him out. 

Abhi had a less than ideal childhood. He came from a broken family. His father left, his mother, for another woman and she became a despot. He ever felt at home only with him. Arjun's mother treated both as her own and always had a special place for Abhi. However, it was still a foster home for him. He had to get back to his mother eventually, and he dreaded it. But Abhi never showed his feelings out. 

He was a private guy and sometimes reminded him of Tanvi. Arjun closed his eyes, for a minute. Thoughts about Tanvi brought him an instant hard-on. Abhi was right— he did want to make love to her. With these thoughts he left the canteen. _______________________________________________________________________________

If you've enjoyed the chapter please vote, comment and share.