Chapter 27

Tanvi woke up tired and wanted to sleep. But when she found Sanjay sitting there, she smiled at him. He was relieved and pulled the chair close to her bed. 

"Do you really know you are an idiot? What is this Tanvi? I told you not to take the second pill. What did you get from all this?" 

Tanvi tried to shrug but she felt as if a bullet train had just run over her. Every part of her body ached and her mouth was very dry. 

"Water," she croaked. 

Sanjay poured some in a paper cup and brought it to her dried lips. She tried to gulp and choked. 

"Wow, slow down. Just take small sips ok. Now we don't want you to drown. Do we?" 

He brought the cup again to her lips. She slightly got up and he had to support her on his arm for her convenience. This was the scene Abhi witnessed, when he came in. He was infuriated to find Tanvi in another man's arms. He, somehow, fought the impulse to push this man away and hold her himself. He very much wanted to claim her as his. He stopped at the entrance to regain a sense of equilibrium. 

Tanvi looked up to see Abhi and her eyes slightly widened. She did not expect him but was very pleased to see him. Her heart was filled with some strange emotion. She could keep looking at him all day long. He was indeed a very handsome specimen of most men. She could see his jaw tense as he glared at Sanjay. She wanted to smirk at Abhi's reaction but suppressed it.

Abhi schooled his features to look calm. He felt her gaze and looked at her. Their eyes connected and a strange current passed. She couldn't look away. She was lost in his intense gaze. His bottomless brown eyes agitated her. She felt Abhi trying to convey something to her but she couldn't grasp it. 

Just then, Sanjay moved and the weird spell broke. Sanjay did not notice all these undercurrents simmering around him. He helped her lay back gently on her bed. Tanvi swallowed hard and tried to rasp again to introduce Abhi and Sanjay. She badly wanted Abhi to meet Sanjay and befriend him if possible. 

"Sanjay?" she motioned towards the room entrance and said, "Meet my very best and dear friend Abhishek." 

She still felt it was not enough to describe Abhi. What was Abhi to her was something she needed to delve within her. For now, best and dear friend were the closest she could consider him. Sanjay extended his hand to Abhi with a big smile and Abhi had to shake it. 

"Abhi, he is Sanjay, my colleague and a good friend in office. He is my only champion there," she spoke slowly. She looked at Sanjay warmly and smiled. Abhi felt a tug at his heart. He would give anything for her to look at him the way she was looking at Sanjay. He closed his eyes for a moment as soon as Sanjay turned around to sit near Tanvi. 

 Sanjay pursed his lips to show his displeasure but he was amused, "You know Tanvi, you can't sweet talk me to support you now." 

He looked side wise and addressed Abhi, "I warned her against taking that smart drug again. Our job was done. We fixed the production issue as far as we could. It was best to leave it to our managers to work from there. But she is an idiot. We are still new and nothing much is expected from us. I hope she realises it now. Did you Tanvi? It was very foolish of you." 

Tanvi rolled her eyes. Abhi thought Sanjay was no threat as he feared before but still was not comfortable to have him talk to her in such familiar terms. 

"I brought notice to our work from higher management. Now even Raghav recognises us with just our names you know. Don't you think that is something?" Tanvi spoke sharply. She was quickly regaining her strength. 

Sanjay was taken aback, "Not at the cost of your life and health Tanvi. I won't agree to that sentiment."

She grew serious, "All that I have in my life now is just my job Sanjay. I'm bloody serious about it and really don't care what's becoming of me." 

Sanjay was concerned. He knew he was on a fine line here, "I understand what you are trying to do. And I fully appreciate the emotion and drive behind it. But seriously this is not the way to go about it.There are a lot of things you need to consider. Maybe another day when you are in a better frame of mind," he placated her. 

Tanvi chose not to reply and Sanjay sensed that she was still angry. 

"Tanvi I'll... I'll catch you in office.Please take the day off tomorrow. Just take rest and get back on Tuesday." 

She nodded in acknowledgement and thought he had no right to question her actions or pass judgment. Sanjay gravely nodded to Abhi and left. 

"Good riddance. He was beginning to grate on my nerves with all his jolly good and cheerful self," Abhi mocked and Tanvi tried to hide a smile. He smirked at her and she burst out laughing, but soon grimaced in pain. 

"Serves you right Tons." 

 "You are being an ass with a capital A now." 

For some reason, he was secretly pleased that they were finally breaking boundaries since being an Ass was Arjun's forte.

Nevertheless, he was annoyed with her, "Yes, I'm an ass. Though I was woken pretty early today, I rushed here in twenty minutes only find you barely breathing. I had to wait outside the emergency room dying a thousand deaths until the doctor declared you safe. Finally, they shift you to this special room, but I couldn't be here with you as I had to go through a very depressing counseling session, bearing accusatory glances from the psychiatrist who felt, somehow, I failed to keep a check on you. When I come back, I find you in someone else's arms without a care in the world. And yet I'm an ass." 

He seethed in anger. Tanvi was too tired to read in between the lines to grasp his love for her. She was pissed off and wondered who had alerted him as none of her colleagues knew about him. 

"Is this some kind of 'Reprimand Tanvi' session?I did not ask you to come. In fact, I was in no position to do that."

She paused and whispered, "I was very happy to see you here but now I very much question that feeling. Why did you come, Abhi?" 

He took a deep breath and let it out slowly with that his temper came down too. He took her hand and traced her fingers, "Because I was worried sick for you. Didn't you understand what I was trying to tell you?" 

His touch was very soothing and distracting too. She shook her head as No. He looked at her solemnly and said, "Tanvi as I said before, you are too precious for all of us to lose. Even for that cheerful fellow, what was his name? haa, Sanjay." 

He paused and silently added, "Especially me." 

He looked into her eyes with burning intensity, "I'm still in love with you." 

Her eyes widened in disbelief and struck her dumb. She blinked repeatedly to try to comprehend his words.

He paused and continued, "I can't just settle for 'best and dear friend' anymore. As it is, it is barely acceptable for now. I love you. I'm not expecting anything from you yet. But please be careful Tons." 

With another pause he continued, "Your dad called me early this morning. He was troubled. I stopped him from coming to Bangalore. You need to call them once you are home." 

He looked away and whispered, "I know how you still feel about Arjun. I too miss him in my own way. That is the way of life.You need to move on. I wouldn't ask you to forget him. Just give yourself a chance to live and if it's with me I'll be the happiest man alive." 

He stood abruptly, "I'll talk to the doctor if they'll discharge you now."

Tanvi was speechless for a long minute. She was overwhelmed and gaped at his retreating back. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

If you've enjoyed the chapter please vote, comment and share.