Chapter 37

All through the drive back to Tanvi's place, Abhi occasionally glanced at her in awe. She couldn't help it and asked him, "What?"

Abhi grinned and said, "You madam are a treasure. My mother's expression was priceless."

He grew serious and warned her, "Tanvi, I don't get along with my mother well. But her influence could make a difference to our business. Mr Prasad's conglomerate is mid-sized compared to her vast business empire. She is a surly woman, yes, but she is very shrewd and we could learn a thing or two from her. You would know I was handling the networking part for our start-up? Most of my contacts are from my mother's network and they helped me because she did not oppose it. I don't want you to openly challenge her. It could affect our business interests as well."

Tanvi interrupted him and said, "I would never cross words with anyone Abhi. It's just that she was insulting you and I couldn't take it."

Abhi was silent for a minute and murmured, "Thank you. You need not defend me. I can take care of it. Besides she's my mother." He added, "Except Arjun nobody has done something like that for me. It feels really good when we men are felt wanted."

She dropped her gaze to her lap and Abhi looked away. She was curious, "Why do you work for Mr Prasad, when you have your own family owned business?"

Abhi internally laughed at her choice of words. She was still clueless about his mother's legacy.

"hmm well. I did try to work with her as part of college internship. It should suffice to say, it was too tedious."

"So after her it will be you right Abhi?"

"I think my mother will survive even me," he joked.

She drew a sharp breath. She knew it was an eventuality for all living beings on this planet but she was still not comfortable talking about death. Abhi noticed her pale countenance and was worried, "Babes are you ok?...Tons?"

"Nothing Abhi. I just...I mean... I'm yet to reconcile any talk about death. I'm sorry."

She rubbed her eyes lightly and continued, "I hope you stay active, healthy and strong for a very long time. And I realized you've effectively changed the subject. What will you do when you need to take over from your mother? Is it possible at first place? And what kind of business you have?"

"It's a long story," he grumbled.

"I have all the time in the world," she urged.

"My mother's grandfather converted part of his house as a guest house back then during British time and my grandfather expanded it. It was renamed when my mother was born. We are the most famous names in hospitality sector. Have you heard of ARK group of hotels?"

Tanvi was stunned and exclaimed with rounded eyes, "Oh man, seriously? Abhi you are more than just rich. If I'm not wrong, you are a royal. ARK group of hotels? ArundathiRamaKrishna. Oh my God. This is so much to take in."

"hmm hmm yes, from my mother's side. But my great grandfather was a second son. He did not inherit except for a huge summer house. So technically, I'm not royal but then we are treated as such. I don't like to be reminded about it."

Tanvi was silent for a few seconds, "No wonder! I thought your mother was a queen. Not that I saw many royals. But the impression was still there and now it turns out to be true. What about your father Abhi?" she asked softly.

"He was a son of a long time associate of my grandfather. He was educated in top schools and carried himself well. He was very active in business and helped my grandfather expand it. My grandfather was impressed and proposed the alliance. Things didn't work out between them. He divorced her and married someone else. He sold his part of the shares in the company back to my grandfather and left for the States. He lives there. I was two years old then. I mostly lived with my nannies so I hardly know him. I've never met him. He never made the effort so did I. My grandfather was my father. He passed away when I was eight. That's when I met Arjun.