Chapter 10

They came back from their trip late Sunday evening and strolled around the campus. They visited the lake hideout. While they sat under a tree and slowly relaxed in the cool breeze, Arjun whispered, "I love you". 

She was stunned for a moment and her eyes rapidly filled with tears. She gazed at him in adoration and smiled. There was no eloquent usage of words or a lengthy speech, a simple declaration just like him which changed her life forever. Her joy knew no bounds. She held his cheeks and whispered, "I love you too". And happy tears flowed freely from her eyes. 

He did expect it from the way she often looked at him but still found it overwhelming. He wiped away her tears and she laughed as he joined her. They were both happy. He kissed her and they made love under the open sky, near slurping water and on dry earth. It was a different experience, more earth shattering, tender and very primitive. 

****

It was early Monday morning and Tanvi was all set. The mere thought of Arjun brought a smile to her. She heard her phone beep and knew he was here to take her to the airport. She bounded down the stairs. With a huge grin, she flew into his embrace and looped her arms around his waist. He held her tightly for a moment and then they were on their way to the airport. 

"Arjun, just promise me that you'll be right here waiting for me when I get back from the vacation. I want to see you first more than anyone else in Bangalore," she said gravely. 

He nodded. "I'll miss you Arjun and I love you," she whispered with a catch in her voice. Arjun cupped her chin and lifted it, "I'll miss you too and love you. I'll be here waiting for you Tanvi." 

He kissed her and held her closely again. He never wanted to let her go even if it was just for a much needed vacation.

She could still feel his lips on hers when she sat in the flight reminiscing everything they shared during the past couple of days. She missed him physically but felt his indescribable presence with her. 

She reached Hyderabad and was hit with dry, hot sun. The difference in temperatures was significant. She couldn't believe she got accustomed to Banglorean weather so soon. She saw her mom in the crowd and waved 

"Amma!"

She reached her in sometime and hugged her... 

****

Days went in a blur. As promised she met Sia and they had good time. Sia warmed her way into her family and likewise she was welcomed into Sia's family with open arms. She caught up with all her school friends and went shopping with her mother. 

Even in midst of all these activities, she missed him. Now it was not just instinctual, it was a physical ache too. She spoke to him every day and sometimes had a skype call. She introduced him to her mother in one of the skype calls, her mother was beyond impressed. 

In another skype call, when her mother met Abhi she exclaimed, "Oh God, now I know why you look so lost. There are two eligible fellows waiting for you there in Bangalore." 

"Amma, you are being absurd. I love Arjun period. Abhi is Arjun's best friend period." 

Her mother held her face and kissed her cheek, "I'm happy for you Tanvi. You found someone very special. Please cherish him." Tanvi had a lump in her throat as she nodded. 

****

 A few days later, she left for Bangalore. "Arjun!" Tanvi exclaimed once she spotted him outside the airport. She embraced him with ardour and kissed for a long time which was drawing undue attention. 

They parted, drew deep breaths and faced knowing looks from strangers. Tanvi just smiled back and took it instride while Arjun just shook his head in amusement. They reached the campus talking in high spirits and then she saw Abhi. He looked ragged and haunted. He looked at them, just nodded in acknowledgement and left.