Chapter 35

"Hi Amma"

 "Hello darling. How are you?"

"I'm fine. So how is everything else? How is dad? "

"We are good. Everything is just the same old routine. As usual, your dad is busy with his work but I persuaded him to take me to the Chilkur temple this weekend. Finally, he budged. By the time we reached, the temple was so crowded,I wondered why at all I took the effort. Even the VIP queues were full and brimming with people. I was very furious with your dad. What is the use with all the influence he has but not able get a passage in a temple. He told me that before God everyone is the same and shouldn't use his influence here. It's as though we are flaunting it before God who has given us everything. I knew what he said is 100% true so had to just bow my head in prayer and thought all is for my good. After a few hours, we did have darsanam and came out. Sometimes it's very humbling you know. "

"Hmm hmm I know. Temples are always very humbling and we get a sense of peace after visiting one. I should have done that more often here. I'll ask Abhi to take me some weekend. "

"Abhi? I thought you two are not on talking terms."

"Well, lot of things happened this weekend." Tanvi paused and took a deep breath.

"Ok...Come on darling. Now don't keep me in the dark.What happened? "

"On Saturday evening I went to the mall to kill time and saw Abhi there. I spoke to him. We spoke for some time and suddenly he proposed. I was hesitant. I told I don't love him but at the same time I don't want to say No to him. He kind of agreed. "

"What? You mean you are engaged to be married?"

 Her mother squealed in delight and continued... 

"Tanvi you darling darling girl. I'm so surprised. This is all so sudden. You go and accept that fellow's proposal and give me that blasted news in a lukewarm way after 24 hours? I've been waiting for this news ever since you got a job. Oh dear, I'm so happy, darling.What other wish do parents have than to see their kids happily married and settled in life? Does your father know? "

"Hmm he knows. Abhi spoke to him and I spoke to him too. We are coming by Thursday morning flight to Hyderabad. He has to talk to his mother and he wants me to meet her. He'll meet you both after that."

"That's very sensible thing to do. But I'm very very annoyed with your dad. He knew it and failed to tell me. That's very bad."

"Amma I told nanna not to tell you, because I wanted to tell you first hand. I should have told you last night but lot of other things happened and I couldn't do it."

"That's alright darling. Oh God, my darling girl is getting married. We have lot of things to plan. I'll get the astrologer to fix a date and time. We'll have the wedding at our ancestral place. Or do you need a destination wedding? Anything you want will be done. Any chance to get Abhi's horoscope? "

"Amma please slow down. We are coming to Hyderabad to finalize all this. But his mother's approval is very important. I'm very nervous about the meeting. She could be downright mean to me. Besides I need your help in something else."

"Don't worry about Abhi's mother. I'm sure you can hold your ground with anyone. Just remember never to show your weakness. I spoke to her twice, she is a very proud woman and has a very caustic tongue and thinks it as a weakness to feel hurt. Anyways it's Abhi you are going to marry and would hardly stay with her, if she continues to live in Hyderabad. Abhi knows about her and I'm sure he'll try to shield you. Enough of her now so what help do you need? "