Chapter 29

Abhi got out of the car and went around to her door. She was out of the car by then. He smiled at her and took her hand. Something was different with him now. She thought the declaration somehow lifted off a big burden from his heart. They reached the apartment door and she invited him in.

He went in and looked at his surroundings. It was very feminine. It was sparsely furnished yet tasteful. 

"Please sit". 

She checked the fridge and with a sorry face came back and told him, "I'm sorry Abhi, the milk is two days old and it's spoilt. Would you mind drinking black coffee?" 

"That's fine Tons. I don't want anything. Could you get me a glass of water?" 

Tanvi got him a glass of water, "Here you go." 

Abhi finished it in two gulps and asked for more. She got some more and he drank it more slowly. All the while, his gaze never left her face. She held her ground and made a show of being cool. But she was disconcerted with his intense gaze.There was something new in him. It was as though he wanted to devour her. 

"Please sit Tanvi. I need to talk to you." Tanvi nodded and sat opposite him. He kept the glass on the side table next to him and held her hand once again. She did not protest. His hands were warm and rough but very comforting. 

"Tanvi, it's high time we talk about this." 

"About what Abhi?" 

"About your drinking problem." 

Tanvi was taken aback and a frown marred her beautiful features. She tried to pull her hands free but his grip tightened.

She did not interrupt so he continued, "While I don't want to interfere with your life since you claimed it's your life and would live it in your terms. I couldn't help noticing your relationship with your family. You claimed your team dynamics is also not good. And I strongly feel it's less about Arjun now and more about liquor. But I wouldn't know for sure. Will I?"

He paused and continued, "Tons you need to talk to someone about how you feel. You need to share. A few months back, I received a call from Sia. She is getting married by this year end. I came to know you two fought. Why are you shutting away all your friends and family Tons? Why?" 

Tanvi put her head down and chose not to answer his questions. 

"Tons please look up. You've changed. I'm not sure if it's for good or for bad but you've changed. You are highly impatient and quick to temper these days. It's not like you to burn bridges with people who care about you.You were most loving, compassionate and loyal person I've ever met and now here you are mostly brooding, moody and downright mean sometimes." 

Tanvi still averted his gaze but noticed her hands tremble in his. She was furious and wanted him to leave her alone. She badly needed a drink.

Plain water was not quenching her thirst anymore. Her hands itched for her to pour out a drink. She abruptly stood up, pulled her hands from his grip and moved to the kitchen.

Abhi paused and noted her actions, her body visible shook and her hands in particular were ceaselessly trembling. She quickly looked for Vodka and poured a measure of it in a glass. She gulped it in one go and tried to pour one more. Abhi stopped her and pulled the bottle from her grip. 

"Please Abhi, don't throw it. I need just one more drink." 

"No, No" 

"Please Abhi, I need it. Please," she begged him shamelessly. 

"Tanvi please, this is not you. You are destroying yourself." 

He took the bottle away from her and dumped it in the garbage. Tanvi, however did not stop — she was frantically searching for Vodka. He took note of her actions and held her hands firmly from behind. She struggled to get out of his grip but to no avail.