Chapter 23

Abhi was interrupted several times by business associates and other people, but he kept a close eye on her. She was just enjoying her drink and never left that place. Occasionally, she moved to the bar for a refill. And twice she had to visit the restroom. She was not a light-weight. 

The amount of alcohol she consumed would make some men falter. Besides, he had his doubts about the quality and strength of the liquor served there. It could be a very watered-down version. 

He hardly preferred drinking at all and never at such events. He noticed she did not take any food. Food usually absorbed alcohol.So, it was safe to return home quite consciously. Moreover, food made one feel full and one would drink very less alcohol. She clearly wanted to get drunk. He thought it was time to take her home. 

"Tanvi, how did you come?" 

"Abhi? You look very handsome and hot..." after a pause she added, "What did you just ask?"

He patiently repeated his question, "How did you get here?" 

"Here? how did I get here? I came with mom and dad." 

He was in a new dilemma now. How would he explain her present condition to them? And she had trouble concentrating on her surroundings. Her words slurred and movements were unsteady. It was not like Mr Rao to being ignorant of her activities. 

What was keeping her mom and dad away? Abhi found her clutch and got her phone out. Her parents wouldn't like to find her like this. The onus was on him now to deliver her safely to her residence. It was fingerprint locked and after a few attempts he unlocked the phone and found her dad's number and dialed. 

"Hello Mr.Rao. I'm Abhisek here. Tanvi is with me right now. She wants to go home.... No, she is fine but ..." he took a deep breath and added. "...quite drunk. Are you still around? I can bring her to you....No, that's fine with me. I'll drop her home. Sure, no problem...Could you please message me her address?... Well! She may not... I hope you get it now... Sure... hmm hmm your welcome. Bye."

Her phone beeped with a message from Mr Rao. He was surprised with such lack of concern for her. It was either that or they trusted him immensely. He remembered what Arjun said about his island issue. Mr Rao was a well-informed man and he no doubt knew about her whereabouts as well. They were a close-knit family. This was a conundrum which he did not have time to solve. 

He looked at her. She kept her eyes closed and was humming softly. 

"Tons what have you done to yourself?" he murmured and went to her. 

"Tanvi, we are going home."

 "What Abhi? Did I say you look very handsome and hot?" 

"We are going home Tons. Can you get up and lean on me? It'll not look good if I carry you around." 

That pulled her out of her reverie. She closed her eyes firmly for a minute and shook her head twice to clear her fogged mind. 

Abhi called out to a waiter, "I need a jug of warm water to drink." To which Tanvi added, "Fresh Tomato juice, no ice and no sugar." 

Abhi turned back to the waiter, "Did you hear that? Now go!" 

The waiter bobbed a nod, "Sure Sir!" and ran.

Tanvi just gulped the juice and the water in slow mouthfuls as soon as these were brought to her. 

She looked at Abhi gratefully, "You are god-sent!" 

Abhi shook his head, "Why go through it when you obviously, don't enjoy the after effects?" 

"I gave you all the reasons I could think off, earlier."