Prologue

October- 31, 1981
Godric's Hollow

"Take them, Lily", James Potter's voice was frantic, almost desperate, as he urged his wife up the stairs

"What about you?", Lily Potter hesitated, concern strewn across her beautiful and young features.

Looking back, fear was present in James Potter's eyes, but like a true Gryffindor, the roar of his heart dared to overcome even the shiver of his spine. Difficult as it may have been to stand brave in the face of impending chaos, his courage in that moment was fueled with every thought of those he loved most, and James loved nothing more in this flawed world than Lily his weakness, his strength, his greatest joy and sorrowand the two children sleeping soundly on the floor above, unaware of the bedlam soon to come upon them.

The thought of them alone burned all his fears away.

"I'll hold him off", James said, determined and grim.

In Lily's eyes, he had never looked more handsome than he did in that moment, yet every part of her ached, missing that mischievous smirk of his that she had grown so used to. Whether he be his troublemaker self, her caring husband, or a loving father, Lily knew she loved James with all of her being.

That's why she didn't want to leave him. Not on his own. Not when they promised to be together until the end.

"James-"

"Please", James intercepted with a long passionate kiss to Lily's lips. It still felt like the first time, but he knew that this would be their last, and so James carved into his mind this blissful memory ─ her lips were cold, and his were hot, warming each other and fitting perfectly, and James thought that if this was what heaven would feel like, he wouldn't mind. He wouldn't mind at all.

Their lips parted slowly, making every second last, hoping it'll be forever, but knowing they were out of time.

Tears stinging her eyes and blurring her vision, Lily began to climb the stairs, her heart getting torn with each step.

"Until the very end", James' voice wavered as he said it, basking in all the beauty of her retreating form. Merlin, she really was a vision. The closest thing to perfection in this messed-up world. James had been so lucky. "I love you, Lils", he tried for that cheeky smirk that she adored.

Her laugh was shattered. Still, it was pure. It was only for him. "I love you, arrogant toe-rag", she whimpered, "Until the very end".