Chapter 33

Amandla Stenberg as Veronica Justice

Amandla Stenberg
as
Veronica Justice

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"Troubling times won't change my mind about you, my friend. Our friendship runs deeper than the ocean and lasts longer than this lifetime. Do not doubt my loyalty"

___________________________

In a small orphanage at the heart of Surrey, a three-year-old Isabelle Potter sat alone on the bottom of the slide. Her eyes stared enviously at the children in the playground, wondering why no one wanted to play with her.

Suddenly, a ball came rolling on the grass towards her, stopping once it hit the side of her shoe. Excitedly, she picked up the ball and turned towards the group of toddlers that had been playing with it only moments ago.

"Can I play with you?", she asked kindly, hoping that they would say yes.

One of the boy toddlers, however, frowned and shook his head. "No! We don't wanna play with a freak!", he said meanly, snatching the ball from Isabelle before she could react.

"I'm not a freak", Isabelle objected weakly and sadly, rubbing her arm self-consciously and looking down at the grass.

"Yeah, you are!", another toddler boy teased, "You're a big freak!", he said, throwing a small rock at her.

Isabelle cried as the rock hit her cheek, drawing blood. The other kids laughed at her tears, joining together to throw rocks at the red-haired freak that didn't belong in their orphanage.

Young Isabelle fell to the ground, covering her face from the attack and crying for help, but all she could hear were the evil laughter of the children around her.

"Hey, stop that, you meanies!"

A series of groans and cries could be heard as the rocks suddenly stopped hitting her. When Isabelle uncovered her face and opened her eyes, she saw a raven-haired girl punching one of the toddler boys that had been mean to her.

All the other kids were running away from the raven-haired girl, crying and with red marks on their faces.

"You're a real meanie!", the strange girl screamed at the crying toddler boy before kicking him away, "Get away from her!".

The boy stared fearfully at the raven-haired girl before sprinting away, tears falling down his face as he wept pathetically.