Chapter 1

There was quiet giggling coming from around the corner, and Kaylin knew that where there was quiet giggling, there was something sneaky going on.

She turned the corner carefully, clutching her only textbook to her chest. The louder they giggled, the more eager she was to find out what the source of their laughter was. She made her way down the steps that led towards the infirmary. Consulting her prior knowledge of what happens in that room when kids were flirtaciously giggling, she stood with her back against the wall beside the door instead of peering into the room and corrupting her virgin eyes.

The infirmary room at Jackson Hew Highschool was a small abandoned classroom where hormonally driven teenagers went to do things they knew they couldn't get away with at home. It was full of old computers, broken tables and desks, and out of date textbooks.
"Shut up, Lauren," she heard a familiar husky voice whisper. "You're gonna get us caught."

"Too late!" Kaylin shouted from the doorway. There they were. The horny culprits. All hugged up on one another. They looked up at her like two deer in headlights, two children who had just gotten caught stealing cookies out of the cookie jar- like two teenagers who had just gotten caught betraying one of their closest friends. She turned and ran as fast as she could down the hallway. She knew Lauren would come running after her. But she also knew that she could never catch her. Kaylin was an athlete. Lauren, a cheerleader. They were barely athletes. At least that's what Kaylin thought.

It wasn't until now that she regretted putting on a dress today. Cause if it wasn't for that dress, she wouldn't have worn those sandals, then Lauren wouldn't have caught her and pinned her up against the locker the way she was doing at this very moment.

"Kaylin, you better keep your mouth shut," she warned pointing a threatening finger in her face.
Kaylin laughed. She found it funny that such a small, slender girl thought she could scare this aggressive girl whom was at least four inches taller than her.

"Kaylin, I'm serious," Lauren whined as she moved away to let her free. "I really like Tyler. Please don't mess it up for me."

Kaylin crossed her arms across her chest. "You're messing it up for yourself by sneaking around with one of his best friends."

Lauren ran a hand through her dirty blonde hair as weary crept over her face.

Kaylin hated Lauren. But she still considered her one of her friends. To a certain extent anyway. She wasn't the smartest, but she was pretty, and could get way more guys than Kaylin could. But the real reason why she internally despised her was because she was always cheating on Tyler, her best friend, with no type of remorse. And the reason why she really couldn't do anything about it was because sadly enough, he didn't even care. Or at least that what it looked like to everyone outside of the relationship. They've been dating since seventh grade. On and off of course, but they still claim to love each other like crazy.

Lauren is the only female friend Kaylin has. Then there's Tyler, Jordan, and Jacob who's been her best friends since 7th grade. She met Tyler first, who had two other best friends at the time: Jacob and Jordan. A few movie outings, video game sessions, and basketball games later, they were probably the closest group of friends in the entire school.

"Kaylin," Lauren softly said.

She rolled her eyes, throwing her back against the lockers behind her. "Buy me cookies at lunch?"

"Okay!" Lauren chimed with a face full of happy. "See ya later!" she called, starting back towards the infirmary.

'What a sick child.'

It was the end of the school day and all the halls were clear. The only people in the building were the Winter Season student athletes, and a janitor for each of the eight main hallways. Kaylin should be sitting in the auditorium with the other group of athletes and potential athletes, and so should Mr. Kendrick who was locking lips with his friend's girlfriend in the infirmary. But instead, she was down here roaming the halls because, hey, she had it like that.