Chapter 18

Warning: mention of rape

......

"Oh god." A gasp came from Lucy's lips while she stared at the piece of paper she had just found in her mailbox. She had come home from the bookstore some minutes ago and would have to leave in almost one and half an hour since Luke had invited her over for dinner. The siblings hadn't seen each other in weeks and she couldn't deny that she missed her brother. So, Lucy had agreed and promised she'd come over.

But now she felt everything but leaving her apartment again. The paper she was holding showed words that were written hastily but the message wasn't anything less scary to Lucy: I know what you did. You'll pay for it.

Lucy swallowed hard before she scrunched the paper and threw it into the trash can. Her heart was racing wildly in her chest, but she ignored it. She had to get ready and go to Luke. She had promised and she didn't want to disappoint him, no matter what. Grabbing her bag and a jacket, Lucy left the apartment some time later and tried to ignore the feeling that was crawling up her chest as soon as she stepped outside. She felt like someone was watching her all the time now and it started to drive her crazy, even when she swore herself not to go insane and let something like that destroying her. But it was getting harder and harder every day.

"Hey, sis!", Luke greeted her with a wide smile before he pulled her into a hug. Lucy smiled.

"Hey, Luke." She followed him inside and was surprised to see Spencer sitting on the couch. Lucy frowned. She hadn't expected Luke's colleague and friend being here as well. She had thought it would just be her and Luke.

"Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that I've invited Spencer too. I hope that's okay for you?", Luke said when he saw his sister's look. Lucy just nodded and then went over to say hi to Spencer. The young agent placed the bottle of beer he had been holding on the coffee table and stood up to give Lucy a hug. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Spencer smelled like coffee and some aftershave she really liked. Damn, he was just perfect and she didn't want this hug to ever end. But it did when Luke came back with a beer for Lucy.

"Here." He reached it towards her and Lucy grabbed it. She realized that her hand was shaking and hurried to take a sip and then place the bottle next to Spencer's. She buried her hands in the pockets of her pants.

"You alright?" Spencer looked at her in a way that made it hard for Lucy to nod. She wanted to tell those two men so much what had happened but something was still holding her back. Maybe it was fear. Yes, she was sure that it was fear.

"Sure", she said after slightly clearing her throat. Now Luke examined her too and suddenly there was worry in his eyes.

"You look tired. And nervous", Luke eventually noticed, frowning. Lucy swallowed and slowly sat down on the couch. Her knees were shaking.

"Alright. Lucy, what's going on?" Luke sat down next to her. "Spencer told me that you changed somehow during those last weeks. And he's right, I can see it too. Something's going on and I want to know what it is!" Luke's voice had gotten louder with every single word. There was no doubt he'd let Lucy go tonight without her telling him what was going on. And she knew, she couldn't come up with another lie. She was tired, so tired. And she was afraid. The man she had seen in front of her bookstore some time ago had appeared again. Not only there, but also in the streets of D.C. It had always looked like it was random, but Lucy had known it wasn't. He was following her around, he was putting threatening letters in her mailbox and shortly there had been phone calls from him that had frightened her almost to death. She couldn't do this anymore. She was risking her life here if she didn't talk.

"Come on, Lu. Tell us what's going on. You've changed and I'm worried. Spencer is too." He gave Spencer a quick look. The young man nodded. "This has been going on for too long now and I finally want to know what's the matter", Luke continued talking to her. He was stubborn. He was an FBI agent. He wouldn't give up. "I can't help you if you don't talk!"