Chapter 71

During Spencer's stay in the hospital – which was a week – Lucy barely left his side. He had told her to go home, back to D.C., again but she had insisted to stay with him. She would sit with him in his bed or next to it in a chair and read his favorite Edgar Allan Poe stories to him or they'd play cards together. He wouldn't get rid of her until he finally could leave the hospital and Lucy could drive him home.

"How are you feeling?", she quietly asked when they sat on their comfy couch.

"Oh, pretty good", Spencer sighed and pulled Lucy closer. She carefully snuggled into his embrace; she didn't want to hurt him. He was still in pain sometimes, although he was back home again right now.

"I'm glad you were there", Spencer murmured while one of his hands played with Lucy's hair. She slightly smiled. Well, he hadn't had another choice anyway. There had been not the slightest chance for her to leave him alone in this hospital.

"I'm glad you're okay again", Lucy said. She really was. She hadn't been afraid like this a lot in her life so far. And she hoped she wouldn't have to be scared so much ever again. The fear of losing Spencer had been burning in her chest so much, she had thought her insides would be on fire. Automatically, Lucy's fingers clawed into Spencer's sweater. He put a hand over hers.

"Lu?"

She looked up. "I'm sorry, I...just don't let us fight anymore, okay?" Her voice was almost a whisper. Spencer nodded and leaned down to kiss her.

"We hopefully won't", he murmured. No one knew or could say if they'd never fight again anymore. But Lucy would make sure that Spencer wouldn't leave for a case right after they'd fought. She'd make sure they'd reconcile before he'd leave. She couldn't bear another time where she'd have to fear she didn't have the chance to make it up to him again.

For the rest of this day and the day after, Lucy and Spencer just cuddled and spent time together like they hadn't seen each other for at least a month. Lucy had talked to Phoebe who had told her she'd be able to look after the book shop for a day more. And Lucy was just thankful for that. Without Phoebe, she would have been forced to close the shop those last days. But thanks to her, Lucy didn't have to worry about it.

~

And then, two weeks later, the day had arrived for a second time. It was February 10th. The day, Lucy had killed the man who had intended to rape and probably kill her afterwards. When she opened her eyes that morning, Lucy had to take a deep breath. It was the first thought that crossed her mind as soon as she was awake. And her heart literally hurt in her chest. Spencer was still asleep next to her and for a moment, Lucy looked at him while her thoughts were running. Why did she have to think about it again? Damien Peters couldn't do her harm anymore, she was safe. But still, those memories came back faster than Lucy had ever expected. Quietly sighing, she stood up and went to the bathroom. Maybe a shower would wash away the memories again. Lucy had just been standing under the warm water for almost ten minutes when suddenly Spencer joined her. From behind, he wrapped his arms around Lucy's waist and pressed a gentle kiss on her bare shoulder. "How are you feeling?", he asked and Lucy immediately knew that he knew which day it was. Of course, he did. He was a damn genius with an eidetic memory.

She smirked at that thought. "I'm...doing quite good so far", she then said and turned around in his arms. "I'm trying not to think about it too much."

"And? Is it working?"

Lucy shook her head. "No, not really. But I'm glad you're here." She looked up at him while her fingers had started to play with the hair in Spencer's neck. He let his hand run over her wet cheek.

"And I'm not going anywhere", he promised. "You'll get over it eventually. It just takes time. I guess you've got a choice. First opportunity, you let those memories eat you from the inside again or you'll try to keep them in the back of your mind, locked away in a corner. You've suffered enough, Lucy. And no matter what you did, it wasn't your fault."

Lucy just nodded. She suddenly felt a lump in her throat and she was afraid, if she'd say even one word, she'd break out in tears. But she didn't have to say anything. Spencer knew anyway. He wrapped his arms around her tighter and she leaned into his chest while the warm water was still pouring down on them.

"What do you say to a really nice breakfast and then one of your favorite movies? I don't have to go to work unless there comes a case in", he murmured into Lucy's ear and she agreed. That was exactly what she needed right now.

After the shower, Spencer hurried to grab some bread and croissants from the bakery in the street while Lucy was making the coffee. When the doorbell rang, she winced and only realized then, that she had been drifting away into her thoughts and memories again. Sighing, Lucy put down the huge cup of coffee and went to open the door. She wondered who it could be. Spencer wouldn't ring the door bell.

Much to her surprise, there was Luke standing at the front door. "What are you doing here?", she asked frowning. Luke held up a little box with donuts.

"Today's that...day. And I thought I'd come to check on my little sister. Although I know that you're in good hands, of course", he explained with a little smile. Lucy couldn't help but laugh. She stepped away and let him in.

"Spencer went to grab us breakfast. You could join us if you want", she said and Luke was happy to be invited.

"And you're alright?", he asked when they went into the living room. Lucy nodded.

"Yeah, I think so. I had a little breakdown in the shower this morning but Spencer was there. He's great. Do you want some coffee?"

"Yes, please." Luke sat down on the couch. "I'm glad he's there for you, you know!", he exclaimed from there, so Lucy could hear him. She smiled. Yes, she was glad too. She had no idea where she'd be now without Spencer. And she didn't want to imagine that. She was finally happy. Happier than she ever thought she could be. And the past didn't have a place in her life anymore. At least she tried to not let it have a place.

"Where is your boyfriend? I'm actually starving to be honest", Luke said when Lucy returned with two cups of coffee. She chuckled and sat down next to him.

"I have no idea. He's gone for more than half an hour now", she said and for a moment, she wasn't sure if she should be worried or not. Just in that moment, the front door opened and Spencer appeared.

"Hey, there you are!", Lucy exclaimed. "I already thought about filling a missing person's report", she joked and Spencer shook his head, a smile on his lips.

"Hey, Luke", he greeted his colleague as he put the breakfast on the table.

"Luke came to check on me and brought some donuts. We definitely won't starve today", Lucy said. They were all settling around the table and Lucy felt that those bad memories were about to fade. She wasn't alone. She had a family, friends and they all cared for her. And the two most important persons – except for her parents – were here with her on that day.