Chapter 89

"Can't I help? Please?" Pleading, Lucy was standing in the doorframe to the nursery. Luke, Spencer, Rossi, JJ and Penelope were standing inside the room, painting its walls green, yellow and blue. Spencer had asked his colleagues and friends to help him finally getting it ready. There wasn't that much time anymore until the twins would arrive and he was already stressed out they wouldn't be done with everything at the time of birth. Sighing, Lucy crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"No way, sweetie!", Penelope exclaimed. She was wearing a white overall that was strewn with colorful splashes. The others didn't look any better. Lucy couldn't hide a smirk. "You're only allowed to watch your favorite TV shows all day long and eat ice cream or pizza or whatever you want!" Penelope grabbed her shoulders, turned Lucy around and brought her back to the living room.

"Okay, okay, I understand!", Lucy laughed. Although she was a bit bored, she was thankful for Spencer and the others to paint the nursery. She doubted she could have helped much and letting Spencer do everything wouldn't have felt right to her. Lucy grabbed one of the pillows and snuggled up on the couch. She barely held back a yawn and decided to take a nap. The longer she was pregnant, the sleepier she got. At night, it was hard for her to sleep sometimes because her baby bump got in the way too often. She often felt uncomfortable and tossed and turned around almost all night long. As soon as she had closed her eyes now, Lucy fell asleep.

~

During the following days, Spencer and Lucy could finally furnish the nursery. Next to ultrasound appointments and prenatal classes, Lucy visited regularly – sometimes even with Spencer joining her – the couple was busy with buying two cribs, a changing table, a rocking chair, a dresser and some decoration for the freshly painted walls in the nursery. It was a lot of work and Lucy and Spencer both were glad that Luke, Rossi and Matt helped building the furniture. "What are we going to do with the walls?", Spencer asked one evening, after Lucy had found him leaning against the doorframe, with his arms crossed in front of his chest, staring into the nursery.

"We've bought those words that we can put on the walls", she said with a smile and shortly rubbed Spencer's back. He looked tired. Well, she wasn't surprised. Nights were hard for him when Lucy was not able to sleep and tossed and turned around. She woke him up almost every night. And he was already overly excited that the babies might be born too early and there were moments, Spencer literally freaked out over that fact. Lucy always tried to calm him down then. Sometimes with success, sometimes without.

"Right...", Spencer murmured. For a moment, he remained staying there, before he went away, leaving Lucy standing there in the nursery alone. Frowning, she watched him go. But he came back only seconds later with the phrases they had bought. "Let's put them behind the cribs, okay?", Spencer suggested as he held one of the decorations up in the air. Lucy nodded and took it from him.

It was one of her favorites: Miracles sometimes come in pairs were the words, written in a beautiful lettering, with stars around it. It would fit perfectly behind the cribs. Without thinking any further, the couple began to put the words on the wall – although it was almost midnight already. But they didn't care. The faster the nursery would be totally ready, the better. No one knew if the babies would be born earlier than expected. And Spencer and Lucy wanted to be prepared for any case.

"We should finally go to bed", Lucy sighed after she'd looked at her watch. It was after one in the morning and she was so tired, she could have just laid down on the floor, even with this baby bump. Spencer nodded as he wrapped an arm around her waist and put a hand on the bump. He gently stroked it. "You know...I can't wait to meet our little munchkins", he said with a little smile and Lucy grinned.

"Me too." Then, Lucy took Spencer's hand and dragged him with her towards the bedroom. They would get little sleep once the babies were born. So, for now, they should try to get as much of it as possible. Spencer fell asleep only minutes after going to bed. But Lucy...once again, couldn't find sleep so fast. She was laying on her left side, but didn't feel comfortable, so she turned around. But it didn't help much. Sighing, Lucy crawled out of bed almost two hours later. Sleep wouldn't come anyway. So, she'd go to the living room and take a look at the baby name book Penelope had brought the couple. She had told them to finally decide for names. And Lucy and Spencer had already discussed some of them. Of course, they hadn't been able to agree on any names yet. But they still got some time, hopefully.

"Don't hurry too much", Lucy murmured and rubbed her baby bump as she lay down on the couch, with a book in her hand. She ran over the pages of the baby name book and marked some of the names she liked. Tomorrow morning, she'd show them to Spencer.

"Babe, what are you doing? It's almost five." Spencer's raspy voice sounded from the corridor and a second later he entered the living room. His brown, curly hair was a big mess and he looked incredibly sleepy. Lucy put the book away and sat up properly – as good as possible in her situation.

"I couldn't sleep once again and didn't want to wake you up. I just looked through the baby names", she explained. Frowning, Spencer settled himself next to his wife and took the note she had placed on the coffee table. His eyes scanned all the names she'd written down and curiously, Lucy examined his face to find out what he was thinking. But Spencer didn't say anything. He put the paper on the table and then leaned back, pulling Lucy with him.

"I guess we'll never agree on names until the babies are born", Spencer giggled and Lucy joined him. He was right. They had talked about names for weeks now and just couldn't come to an agreement. And before they'd fight literally every day, they should better stop arguing about it. They had ideas – some they both would be okay with. Maybe they'd do something with those then. There were so many names, so many beautiful, nice sounding ones. It was incredibly hard to decide.

"You need some sleep, darling", Spencer eventually said and helped Lucy getting up from the couch.

"I know", she sighed, rubbing her bump. She was incredibly tired and maybe, she'd finally be able to get some sleep or she'll freak out, she was sure about that.