Chapter 51

"Alright, let's do this", Lucy said to herself as she looked at all the chocolate, eggs, flour and butter that was spread on her kitchen table. It was October 9th today, Spencer's birthday, and the team was out on a case in Chicago for now. Everyone had promised that they'd be back tonight and Lucy wanted to bake Spencer's favorite Cupcakes: chocolate with a vanilla topping and sugar sprinkles. The present she had found for him had finally arrived this morning and Lucy had felt incredibly relieved. She had been afraid that it might not make it here on time. But now the present was all wrapped up in her bedroom, waiting for her to give it to Spencer.

Singing to her favorite music, Lucy baked those cupcakes and just when she was finished, her phone started to ring. "Lucy? Hurry up, the team will arrive here in about an hour!", Penelope literally screamed into the phone.

Lucy hurried to get the cupcakes into boxes, grabbed the present and drove to the bureau. She was greeted by an overly excited Penelope. Lucy couldn't help but laugh at her friend. "Come on, help me place the cupcakes on his desk", she said as she handed Penelope one of the boxes. Not much later, all thirty cupcakes were somehow spread on Spencer's desk and in every single one of them Penelope and Lucy had put a candle.

Penelope clapped her hands. "Oh, this looks lovely! He'll love it!" Lucy hoped so too. She couldn't hide that she was rather nervous right now. When the team eventually walked through the glass door, they saw that Spencer's desk was literally on fire. "Oh, what's this?", Luke asked as he walked towards it. "Spencer, that's your desk!", he shouted and Spencer hurried to get to his own desk, worried something was wrong with his desk and all his work that was placed there. When Spencer saw all the cupcakes, his brown eyes widened. "Chocolate with sugar sprinkles!", he gasped and Lucy, who had been standing next to the desk, Penelope at her side, chuckled.

"Happy Birthday, babe", Lucy said smiling as she came closer. Spencer immediately wrapped his arms around her and kissed her deeply.

"You baked those?", he murmured against her lips. Lucy nodded. And then she conjured up her actual present.

"And that's for you too." She gave it to him. Frowning, Spencer sat down on the chair but before he could unwarp the present, the team urged him to blow out the candles.

"Make a wish!", Rossi said smirking.

Spencer looked up at Lucy and another smile formed on his lips. Then he finally blew out the candles and closed his eyes to make his wish. He opened them again and glanced at the little package in his lap. "What's in there?"

"Just open it and you'll see", Lucy said and bit her bottom lip. She was so excited to see his reaction, she almost couldn't help herself anymore. Everyone watched the genius boy open the present and Lucy couldn't hold back a smile for longer when Spencer's eyes widened once again and his jaw dropped.

"Oh, my god!", he whispered; not able to talk any louder in this moment.

"What is it?" Emily curiously came closer.

"That's...that's a...a first edition of a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's stories and poems!", Spencer squealed. He was utterly in shock and Lucy knew, she had done it right. She had given him a present he had never expected and the joy she could see in his eyes and in his whole face right now, just made her happy.

"How...how the hell did you get that?", Spencer asked as he stood up from the chair and pulled Lucy into a tight embrace.

"Oh, it was easier than I thought at first", Lucy chuckled, not giving him a proper answer to his question. It was her little secret. Laughing, she let Spencer squeeze her against his body.

"That's the best birthday present ever. Thank you so much, love", he whispered into her ear and Lucy buried her face into the space between his shoulder and his neck. She was so happy that he loved the birthday present. And it had taken her only a few hours to get her hands on that book, indeed. She had made some phone calls and was ready to pay quite a lot for it. But she had thought it was worth it. It was for the love of her life. Yes, Spencer was the one she loved more than anybody or anything else. And all she wanted was for him to be happy.

Spencer kissed her again before Lucy grabbed one of the cupcakes and held it up. "Try one", she demanded with a smile. "And you guys, grab one as well. I've made way too many."

Luke was the first to take one. "I knew you're still the queen of baking cupcakes!", he burst out after taking a bite.

"Oh wow, they're really good!", Penelope exclaimed and the others agreed. Lucy had a beaming smile on her face. After they had stuffed their faces with those delicious cupcakes, Spencer sighed, wrapped an arm around Lucy's waist and asked her to finally go home. He looked a bit tired indeed. Sure, the team had just gotten back from a case, they must be tired.

Lucy grabbed Spencer's hand and squeezed it. "Let's go." They said goodbye to Luke and the others and Emily exclaimed, that they would have at least tomorrow off to sleep in and relax.

"To my apartment or yours?", Lucy asked as they walked to her car.

"Hmm...mine?", Spencer asked back and Lucy nodded. She liked Spencer's apartment. She had felt comfortable there from the very beginning. She didn't care if they were at her or Spencer's place. What mattered was, that they were together.

As soon as the door to Spencer's apartment was closed, clothes were falling to the ground. Lucy's lips were attached to Spencer's and his hands were everywhere on her body. She sighed when his lips left her mouth and wandered to her neck, where he left little, soft kisses. Lucy's hands were entangled in Spencer's curly, messy hair and she just loved how he touched her. He knew what she liked and she knew what turned him on.

"This is...by far one of the best...birthdays ever", Spencer gasped later, when Lucy's naked body was pressed against his and she'd placed her head on his bare chest.

"Really?", Lucy chuckled and looked up at him. Spencer nodded before he pressed a kiss on her shoulder.

"Yep, really. That Poe collection...Please don't tell me you paid a fortune for it." He looked almost worried, but Lucy shook her head.

"Don't worry, seriously. I wanted to give this to you and it was worth everything. Because you are worth everything." She placed a hand on his cheek and gently stroked it. Damn, she loved this man so much, she couldn't even put it into words. Spencer pulled her closer again and kissed her passionately. Another round of love making was about to start, celebrating the end of Spencer's birthday.