Chapter 24

During the following days, Spencer and Lucy texted each other a lot whenever they couldn't be together. Although Spencer wasn't a huge fan of texts – he rather called – he was getting used to it. Well, he didn't have a choice anyway since he and Lucy had decided to not tell anybody about their relationship yet. Was this even a relationship they had? They both weren't sure. And Spencer didn't want to risk any questions from his teammates now. He already had a hard time holding back his smiles and good moods anyway.

Whenever he found some time and the team was back in D.C., Spencer spent that time at Lucy's bookshop. He then came in with some coffee to go for Lucy and quickly kissed her lips before he'd hand the cup to her. Although the feelings they had for each other were strong – stronger than anything they've ever felt – they still weren't sure about telling Luke and the others. First, they wanted to see if this would work.

"What would you say if we'd go for dinner tonight?", Spencer asked one afternoon while he was sitting in one of the comfortable chairs and watched Lucy putting new books into the shelves. She stopped what she was doing and turned around. She was surprised and couldn't hide it.

"You mean, a date? An actual, real date?", she asked. Spencer chuckled as he nodded and got up.

"Yeah, an actual, real date", he replied her words and wrapped his arms around Lucy's waist. He kissed her nose and she laughed. Although their first kiss had happened days ago, they didn't have any chance to go on a date together. There had always been a case and Spencer had to leave the city. Lucy bit her lips as she looked up to him and she placed her hands on his chest. Damn, she loved to be close to him. She just felt safe whenever he was with her.

"Promise there won't be a case that interrupts it?", she asked.

Once again, Spencer nodded. "Promise."

"Good." Lucy stood on her tiptoes to be able to press a kiss on Spencer's full lips. For a moment, they just kept standing there between the bookshelves and got lost in their kiss. But then the doorbell rang and they jumped apart.

"Lucy? Are you there?" Luke's voice sounded and Lucy hurried to show herself to her brother before he'd come looking for her and might find Spencer and her in a tight embrace. One could never know when someone was a profiler. They saw things others didn't.

"Oh, hey Luke", she said with a smile and hoped she wouldn't look like she had just been having a kissing session with Spencer. Where was he by the way? Lucy glanced to her left and saw Spencer sitting in the chair, a book in his lap. She smirked.

"Did something happen?", Lucy asked but Luke shook his head as he put his hands in the pockets of his pants.

"Nope. I just wanted to say hi. We haven't seen each other for days", he explained his visit.

"Awww", Lucy simply said and hugged him.

"You wanna come over for dinner tonight? I could make lasagna", Luke offered and Lucy had to fight the urge to look over to Spencer who still acted as if he was reading.

"I...uhm...I can't, Luke. I already have other plans. I'm sorry", she eventually stammered an answer. Luke just shrugged.

"That's alright. Then let's say next week?"

Lucy nodded and hugged him once more. She hated to lie to her brother but she and Spencer just weren't ready yet to make anything official.

Five minutes later Luke was gone again and Lucy took a deep breath. "You alright?" Spencer had appeared behind her and now wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Yeah", she said and then turned around to kiss Spencer quickly. "But now I need to do some more work and then I have to prepare for that date tonight", she said with a grin.

"Any wishes where you'd like to go to for dinner?", Spencer asked and let go of her. Lucy thought for a moment.

"Have you ever been to the Italian restaurant Tosca?", she asked back. Spencer nodded.

"Their food is fantastic. You'd like to go there?"

Lucy nodded. She had wanted to eat there since she moved to D.C. but just didn't have the chance yet. A smile appeared on Spencer's lips. "Alright, I'll make a reservation there and will pick you up at seven, okay?"

Lucy agreed and kissed Spencer one last time before she watched him leave the bookshop. A sigh escaped her lips when she went back to her desk. The feelings she currently had were something she had never experienced so far. Of course, she had been in love with men and she had been in relationships. But this...this was different. She couldn't point out what it was, but this was special. And she hoped Spencer would think the same about what they had.

~

"Hmm..." Lucy turned her head to the side as she examined herself in the bedroom mirror. Since one and a half hour she was trying to get ready for her date with Spencer but she couldn't decide if she liked what she saw. After looking through her whole closet to find something decent to wear tonight, she finally got dressed and put some makeup on. The dress was blue and suited the color of her skin perfectly. The eye shadow was a mix of blue and silver and let her eyes sparkle. Lucy had taken the effort to make curls into her dark hair. Well, she couldn't do more. This had to be enough. When the doorbell rang, Lucy winced and glanced at her phone to see what time it was. Damn, Spencer was ridiculously punctual! With her heart beating faster than usual, Lucy grabbed her purse and hurried to open the door.

"Oh, wow", Spencer murmured the moment he caught sight of Lucy and a loving smile parted his lips. Lucy felt herself blush as she joined him in the corridor and locked the door.

"What?", she asked, smirking when she saw him staring at her. Spencer cleared his throat and wriggled his hands.

"You...you look really beautiful", he then said and before she knew it, Lucy was laying in his arms and felt his lips on hers. She grinned into the kiss. Well, she had done a good job here, she thought. He liked how she looked. And the butterflies in her stomach were throwing a party right now.