Chapter 81

Two stripes. There were two stripes on the first stick. On one of the others was written pregnant 3-4 weeks. And on the last one, simply pregnant. Lucy's heart dropped before it started to jump excitedly in her chest as she stared at the three sticks. Spencer, who was standing behind her, gasped. "Oh, my god", Lucy whispered. If all three tests were telling her that she was pregnant...they couldn't all be wrong, right?

She felt Spencer's arms wrap around her and his hands placing on her stomach. She turned around in his arms so she could look at him. "I can't believe it", she quietly said and tried to figure out what Spencer thought.

"Me neither", he said and then, suddenly, a huge grin started to form on his lips. "I can't believe I'm going to be a father!" He lifted Lucy up from the ground and swayed her around for a short moment and they both laughed. Lucy felt relieved. Spencer was happy about the result. And she was too, no matter what.

"What if I'll be a terrible mother?" The words escaped her mouth before she could have properly though about them again. But there were doubts. What if something would go wrong? What if they weren't prepared to be parents?

Spencer shook his head and led her out of the bathroom. "Lucy, you'll be the best mother in the world. You love children. I see how you act with JJ's boys. Or with Matt's children. You're going to be amazing", he tried to convince her.

"And you'll be the best dad in the world", Lucy said smiling and then kissed Spencer. Feelings of happiness started to rush over Lucy. She was going to be a mother! They would have a little baby in 9 months from now! She could barely believe it, it felt like a dream. Like it wasn't real at all.

The rest of the day, Spencer and Lucy spent laying on the couch, talking about the future. They hadn't planned to be parents so fast after their wedding. But now they were excited and imagined how life would be with such a tiny little human. "I need to make an appointment with my gynecologist", Lucy said while she watched Spencer's hand moving over her belly. Nothing was seen yet, not the slightest bump.

"Yeah, let a blood test get done to be hundred percent sure", Spencer murmured but his gestures and the way he looked at Lucy's stomach told her that he already was sure that there was a tiny baby in it. And Lucy was sure as well. She could just feel it somehow. And her sickness and dizziness didn't come from nothing.

~

A day later, Lucy excitedly left the hospital, in which her gynecologist had an office. She had gotten an appointment immediately, much to her surprise, and after giving some blood, the gynecologist had told Lucy that she was actually pregnant. She had almost cried out of happiness. She had taken all the information brochures and her record of prenatal and natal care and had arranged another appointment to have her first ultrasound in about a month. "Spencer? Are you still at work?", Lucy asked into the phone while she walked down the street.

"Yeah, but not long anymore. I should be done in one and a half hour", he replied. "Have you got any news?"

"I do, indeed. We've been right, we'll have a baby", she told him with the biggest smile on her face.

"Oh, my god, that's awesome! I can't believe it!", Spencer exclaimed but then immediately talked quietly again. He didn't want the team to know already. And Lucy didn't want that neither. The first three months were critical. They couldn't be sure that nothing would happen during those months. So, it would be for the better to not tell anyone yet.

Two hours later, Spencer came home from doing paperwork in the office. "What the hell are you bringing with you?", Lucy laughed as she came into the corridor to greet him. Beaming at Lucy, Spencer held up a bag full of books.

"Just books about pregnancy and babies", he replied before leaning in and pressing a kiss on Lucy's lips. She looked at him in disbelief.

"You're serious, aren't you?"

Spencer nodded. "Of course! We need to be prepared!", he exclaimed, let himself fall on the couch and took the first book. Lucy examined him doing so and shook her head. He'd read those books completely within the next hour and Lucy couldn't help but think that was really cute.

"But please, don't overreact, okay?", she pleaded as she sat down next to him and snuggled into his chest.

Spencer chuckled. "I'll try not to. How are you doing, by the way?"

"I'm doing good. I'm really happy", Lucy replied and looked up to him, smiling. Spencer smiled back. Then, Lucy closed her eyes and took a nap while Spencer read all these pregnancy books.

~

As the days passed, Lucy started to realize how her body changed now. Her boobs started to hurt from time to time and they looked as if they were growing. Spencer seemed to notice that as well. His eyes wandered there more often than usual and he couldn't resist touching Lucy's breasts whenever they were lying in bed together or cuddling on the couch. "You seem to have fun", Lucy chuckled one evening, when Spencer wasn't out on a case and they were in bed, cuddling.

"I'm...it's just...it's different", Spencer stammered and let go of Lucy. But she was alright with it and took his hand again to place it exactly where it had been some seconds ago.

"Don't be silly", she laughed. Soon she'd be looking like a whale and was sure, Spencer wouldn't want to have sex with her anymore once she was in that state. Grinning, Spencer pulled her closer and kissed her passionately before turning out the light of the lamp on the bedside table.

But there were also drawbacks that came with those first three months of pregnancy. Lucy felt tired and exhausted every day, no matter how many hours of sleep she'd get at night. There were even days that she thought she couldn't make it until she had to close the bookstore again. But Lucy forced herself to not give in. She wanted to keep living her life and the tiredness and exhaustion would pass. She had asked her gynecologist about this and he had told her that she needed to be patient and these symptoms would go away again.

But the morning sickness was something that really bothered Lucy. She hated waking up and first thing she had to do was throwing up. She already felt exhausted after waking up when the nausea hit her hard again. Whenever Spencer was here and already awake, he sometimes came into the bathroom to hold back her dark hair while she was leaning over the toilet. First, he had been worried, but since he had read like a dozen books about pregnancies, he had told Lucy that it would usually pass as soon as the third month would be over. Lucy really hoped so.