Chapter 50

Six hours after the BAU had given out the profile, a suspect was arrested and interrogated. He seemed to be about fifty years old and from what Lucy had heard while some members of the team and the police had asked him questions, he was a man filled with bitterness and hate towards Jews and other races that weren't like him. And as Lucy had supposed, he was German who emigrated to the United States thirty years ago.

It took a lot from the agents to finally get this man to speak. But in the end, he did. He told them about the murders and why he did it. Spencer had been right: He was the son of a Nazi and was so full of hate, he had wanted to get rid of Jews that had been born just because some had survived the concentration camps back in the 1940's.

Lucy kept standing in front of the glass, staring inside the interrogation room. Shivers ran down her spine while she listened to the man talking. It was terrible, she thought. How could someone be so full of hate that he started to kill? Sure, she knew from her brother and from Spencer, that most people didn't and couldn't understand what was going on in the mind of a serial killer. But still, Lucy asked herself that question repeatedly.

She had been lost in her thoughts and didn't realize that Spencer joined her at first. It was only when he wrapped an arm around her waist that she slightly winced and then saw him standing next to her. "Thank you", he simply said, a little smile on his full lips.

Lucy shook her head. "I didn't do much. I just read those letters." She shrugged. Spencer grabbed her by the shoulders and turned her around so she had to face him.

"You didn't just read those letters, babe. You helped us understand what's written in them. Without you, we wouldn't have been able to catch that guy within this amount of time. Maybe we wouldn't have been able to catch him at all. That's not nothing."

And before Lucy knew it, Spencer kissed her. She hadn't expected him to do that right here, next to the interrogation room. But she didn't care. She felt her body finally relax again after those days full of stress. She was glad that the guy was caught and couldn't wait to get back home again. They hadn't been away for long, but it still felt like an eternity to her.

"Let's go", Spencer said, grabbing her hand, as if he had just read Lucy's mind. She chuckled and followed him. Now that the killer was caught, it was time for the team to head back home. When they sat in the jet and departed, Lucy realized how tired she actually was. She leaned her head against Spencer's shoulder and sighed.

"Lucy, thanks to you we can go home again already", Emily said with a little smile as she sat down in one of the seats opposite of Lucy's and Spencer's. Lucy felt her cheeks burn.

"I...didn't do much", she murmured and snuggled closer to Spencer. The genius chuckled as he wrapped his arm around her and kissed her temple.

"You did. Thank you for that", Emily softly said and then let the two lovebirds alone. But Lucy was just tired and it didn't take long for her to fall asleep. She had been able to help to solve a case with the BAU and this made her proud although she would never admit it. While she could feel Spencer's thumb stroking the back of her hand, she slightly smiled and drifted away.

~

As soon as they were back home, Lucy fell into her bed almost immediately. She felt as if she hadn't slept in days, although it had been not even two days. Lucy knew, she had to finally find a present for Spencer's birthday, but her mind couldn't work anymore. First, she needed some proper sleep. And cuddling up against Spencer, she placed her head on his chest and was gone to dreamland within seconds.

The next morning, Lucy got up and wanted to go to work quite early. She had closed her bookstore the last two days so she could help the BAU. Now it was time to open it again for people to discover. Spencer was still lying in bed when she jumped in a pair of pants and a comfortable sweater. "I wish you could stay here with me", he murmured into the pillow while his brown eyes were examining her. Lucy chuckled. She came over and leaned down to press a kiss on Spencer's lips.

"I wish too. But...I need to sell some books." She smirked at him and then hurried to get out. If she wouldn't go now, there was a high chance she wouldn't leave her apartment at all today. Spencer was just too irresistible sometimes. Oh, who was she lying to? He was always irresistible, no matter what.

"I love you!", he screamed from the bedroom, what made Lucy laugh.

"I love you, too!", she shouted back and then closed the door.

Like Lucy had hoped, there came quite a few customers to her bookstore and bought something. She was happy about that since it was the only way for her to earn some money. And she didn't want to do something else for a living at the moment. This was all she wanted. When she wasn't selling books, Lucy was busy looking for a birthday present for Spencer. She started to feel desperate when the evening started. Spencer's birthday was in three days and she still didn't have a clue!

Spontaneously, Lucy took her phone and dialed Penelope's number. Her friend needed to help her now. "My beautiful girl, how may I help you?", she could hear the technical analyst's cheery voice almost immediately and Lucy couldn't hide a smile.

"Penny, listen, you need to help me out. I have no idea what to get Spencer for his birthday! And I can't give him nothing!" She almost shouted into the phone and then could hear Penelope chuckle.

"Oh dear, have you thought about books?", she asked and Lucy let her forehead sink on the table. Of course. Why hadn't she thought about books? How?! She was working in a bookstore!

"Oh man...", she murmured, what made Penelope laugh even more.

"He might have read literally every book there is but I'm sure you'll find something special for him, doll", she encouraged Lucy and after a little chat, she hung up again. Sighing, Lucy rolled her office chair back to the laptop and opened the internet explorer. She would find a present for Spencer, no matter how long she had to sit here and look for one. Books were a good reference. But which one?

Drinking coffee after coffee, Lucy searched through the internet and then, suddenly, something caught her eye. Yes! That was it! She had just found the perfect birthday present for her boyfriend and squealed in excitement.