Prepping For Day Shift

--

It felt like forever since you had been up this early. You figured because Abraham, Cronus and Eridan were home, you could pick up an extra day. You unlock the diner's front door and shut it tight behind you. The way the just-rising sun barely graces the floors of the diner gives you firm nostalgia. Cold winter mornings, blistering summer afternoons. Your matriarch of accomplishments... the fire. You shake your head.

It certainly was no dimly lit coffee shop at 5 in the morning, that's for sure. You leave the lights off for a while, entranced with the fraction of light that filters through the blinds onto the furniture. You're setting the ovens to preheat and setting the register up when the door creaks.

"___?" You peak around the kitchen's door.

"Morning, boss!" The clock above the front door reads 7:55. That late already, huh? He shrugs off his coat and scarf and he chuckles.

"Never thought you for a morning person." It's your turn to shrug and you go back to the kitchen.

"I used to open all the time at my old job!" He hums though you can't hear it. He turns on the dining room lights and you sigh in defeat. So much for seeing the light inch its way into the kitchen order window. You missed being awake this early, but you needed your schedule to be as it is for Cronus and Eridan. Who are entirely capable of watching themselves. Maybe Abraham just took too much pity on you. Or maybe it was to get back at Shelly. Shelly is a name I haven't thought of in a while. Thinking of unexpected people... You run a hand through your hair as you situate the breakfast bar.

Wondering of the situation playing out with Cronus and their potential visitor makes your stomach flip. Cronus said they don't know when Cindy, his mother, will show up. He's kept his phone on him at all times, waiting for Feferi's warning.

"___?" You blink and scurry to shut off the faucet behind the bar. "Shit, you sure you opened all the time?" He teases, so you don't take too much offense to it; it does bring up bad memories though. Shelly and her negligence to pay attention. You could not let that tidbit bother you anymore.

You finally decided on why you judged her so harshly: you're an adult and around her age, you would've been put through a wall for screwing up at work. Or school, for that matter. You expected younglings such as her should learn to mature a little faster; she was in college for fucks sake.

She, however, is not your kid and not (nor was she ever) your problem. You have new problems to face. Like how you're gonna get through this especially long, slow day.

After seating a few guests and delivering their food, you decided to people watch. The old man who dines alone, yet loves to talk about his wife sat in his usual booth. A business man with some strange lapel pin took his usual seat on the patio. Marjorie and Bill sit at the bar beside you. You sigh.

Your day goes as slowly as you had anticipated, with you manning the tables for a change. Must have had different people working than usual. You're twiddling an old straw wrapper, like Anabelle, (the one who threw her phone a multitude of times when you first came in for applying), usually wastes her time with. She doesn't work on Tuesday's, thankfully. Now, Ana is no Shelly; she works! She's just very rough around the edges.

The door chimes with the presence of new customers. The regulars had been stilled in their booths, no intent of leaving soon. You wave them over and grab some menus.

"Good afternoon, guys! Just two?" You lead the couple to a window and they thank you admirably.

"It's so nice to see such a cozy, old-town diner." The girl mentions, looking over the menu. The other girl, a little upset, shrugs and eyes the menu.