Tidings to You

--

It's finally Christmas eve.

It's been a dangerous few days, with Cronus distancing himself, Eridan staying over Sollux's instead. Even you and  Abraham have reverted back to an awkward square one. Cleaning at home was fine, but you've settled on working boring open to close shifts. When Jean saw you coming in with your uniform he questioned why you weren't taking off. You "just needed some extra money after Christmas shopping", or "were taking Annabelle's shifts". He didn't think anything else of it.

Your phone blipped after you served a guest's food. You ignore it. It's probably just Cronus asking where you were again. It was 3pm, nearing your lunch break. You haven't felt hungry, but it's probably because of your current situation. Nothing else could be done, you eat when you feel like it. Damien, the cook, comes up to you when you're on break in the back and asks what's up.

"Nothin', just dreading the day." He hums and flicks ash off of his freshly lit cigarette.

"I've never seen you work so consecutively. Must have gone all out on Christmas, huh?" You stare at Damien with tired eyes.

"Yeah, I guess." He takes a deep drag and smiles. He starts talking about what he's gotten his younger siblings and his roommates, but you zone out watching him. He was around your age, recently graduated culinary school with high marks. Or, at least it's what you've heard from your clucking coworkers. He is rather handsome though; tanned skin and green eyes. A mossy mop of olive brown locks. You heard he was Greek.

"You okay?" You blink hard and rub your eyes.

"Wow, yeah. Sorry. Awkward." He hummed, taking another long, stiff drag.

"Well, my break's up. I'm not working too long today. Good luck!" You barely get the chance wave him off when he's awkwardly rubbed your shoulder. He uses said shoulder to help himself stand, and stubbed out his cigarette before leaving.

"...the fuck."

The most you did buy for Christmas was a new controller-headphone set for Eridan, a professional guitar case for Cronus and a new tie and a watch for Abraham. You knew how to look for the best bargains, so you didn't break the bank.

You rubbed your eyes again and yawned. Your break was up in fifteen minutes, so you decided to check the notification bar. Pulling it down and expanding the preview for your messages, you see Eridan asking you to pick him up from Sollux's on your way home, Abraham asking if you guys can talk, and Cronus sent a picture. You didn't even feel a pit in your stomach. You felt exhausted and you haven't done much today.

You check the picture to see Cronus in drag. He looked really good! He must have gotten makeup from a friend. You text a heart and "oooh, so sexy~" and pocket your phone. You hoped that means he was feeling a little better. It's been four whole days.

You continue working until Jean decides to close up around 630 instead of 9. You felt kind of jipped, but you closed according to your training and bundled up for the walk to Sollux's. You asked Eridan for directions and in literally two minutes, you were set on your way.

He didn't live that far, surprisingly. Well, from the diner at least. The lampposts come to life with dull hums and the town lights up with Christmas cheer. In the street, between utility poles, large garland decorations are placed. Each street differed, you noticed; from where you started, the center piece was a garland-shaped bell, then a bunch of mistletoe, a present, a tree and a deer. Just before the next bell, was a Christmas ball. Even the Christmas balls changed color as you progressed.

Seeing these as a kid used to get you so excited. It got you so excited, that you went outside everyday during the beginning of November just to watch out for the men who strung up the decorations. You would hope to decorate your own home with some gigantic garland ribbons someday. You hoped your kids would have been as happy as you were.