Chapter 2: Where a Towns History is Much to Be Explored

No one came to Burgess under normal circumstances. It was a small town, hardly known, revealing a mix of centuries. Old Victorian homes stood next to recently constructed apartments. An elementary school built in the seventies was not far from a diner established in the fifties. The cars were as diverse as the people who rode them down recently paved streets and old dirt trails. In its own way, it could be described as timeless.

Katherine climbed out of the Taxi in front Burgess Elementary. The fur collar of her yellow jacket tickled her chin as she pulled it up.

The school had to be twenty years old at least. Thick-trunked trees stood in front, bare branches like arms stretched over the lawn. It had thick concrete walls with vines climbing the sides. There was a strong smell of snow and the taste of frost in the air.

"Katherine Güse?" Someone called from the building.

She struggled to see through her hair as it blew in her face.

A man waved at the door violently, "Come in, quick, before you catch your death!"

Katherine ducked out of the bitter cold into the warmth of the school building. She fixed her coat, brushing off some stray brown leaves, before looking to her host. A kind smile stretched across his bloated face as he held out a chubby hand. "You must be the new substitute."

She shook his hand firmly, "And you must be Principle Hawthorne."

"I am," He nodded chuckling warmly. He was close in height to Katherine, but rounder about the middle. "It's cold out, would you care for some coffee?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you." She looked around, "The school looks nice."

"Ah, yes, it has quite a rich history. Would you like to hear while I show you your classroom?" He gestured toward the hall.

Katherine nodded, and Principle Hawthorne began to lead her around. "The school was originally built in nineteen-thirty-five and named after the founder of the town. It was small at first, nothing but a schoolhouse. But when new industries moved here, the city exploded with people looking for jobs." He smiled proudly, putting a hand on the wall. "Part of it burned down in nineteen-ninety-one—"

"That's terrible!" Katherine stopped walking.

He nodded solemnly. "It took over a year to rebuild. The school has considerably shrunk since then." He stepped in front of a large classroom and opened the door. "And here is where you will work." She walked in, viewing the empty room. Posters were pinned to a cork board and a desk recently emptied was set in front of a clean white board.

She placed a hand on the desk. "It's official then?"

He laughed, "Are you kidding? With a resume like yours, of course!"

Katherine pulled out the brown messenger bag at her side and began to set up the desk. The principle crossed his arms in the doorway as he watched, "I just have one question for you."

"What is that?" Katherine asked absently as she placed a few pens in the top drawer.

"Why would you, with all your talent and skill choose to substitute at a place like this?"

She looked up at Mr. Hawthorne smiling, "It shouldn't matter where I teach, every child needs to learn."

"Well said, Miss. Güse," He held out his hand, "I'll see you tomorrow then?"

"Yes, sir!" She shook his hand again.

***

While it had been sunset in France, the sun had just set in Burgess. It was growing quiet as he landed on a misplaced electrical pole. "Squeak!"