Chapter 14: The Truth Brings Hope and Pain

Tsar had stopped talking. He didn't say a word in her sleep, nor did he whisper words of help in your thoughts. They had found nothing more in Qwerty regarding information about the Weepers and the Sorroak.

There were no answers in the Town of Burgess library, and Katherine had finally resigned to the idea, that there was nothing for her to do. She sat in the park at the end of the week, not bothering to hide Kailash. The goose was playing in the snow nearby, raking her against trees and giving kids rides.

Katherine's stomach twisted in fear as she sat there. Why wasn't Tsar speaking? Why not tell them what was going on? Why send her here at all? She rubbed her temple, flipping through Qwerty's pages again.

The sound of kids laughter drew her attention, and she looked up to see Jack, giving one kid a ride on his shoulders. He laughed and dunked him into the snow. He roared with laughter and turned his eyes meeting Katherine's very briefly before she blushed and turned back to Qwerty. She flipped through the pages, pen tapping against them.

"Why don't you take a break, Katherine." The book said, "You have flipped through these pages at least a dozen times, the pages won't change unless you write something."

She sighed, "It doesn't make any sense, why send me here if there is nothing to do."

"Maybe he thought you needed a vacation."

She snorted.

"I'm serious!" the book said, "Think of it when was the last time you did anything for yourself. When the last time you had fun."

"I don't have time for fun--"

"Unless you make time," Qwerty said, voice calm and collected. She turned the book around. "Listen, whether this was his intention, or this was a fluke take this time, and do something reckless. Have fun, and for once in your life. Don't worry."

Her thoughts swam with what he said. Should she take advantage of this? Should she let her worries go? Just as she was about to make a decision, she felt something cold and wet slam into her face. She looked up, shaking the snow from her hair. Looking up she saw a crowd of kids who all surrounded Jack.

Katherine scowled beneath the melting snow, and they all pointed to Jack. And she smiled as she stood, leaving Qwerty on the stool.

***

"Tick-tock goes the clock."

In the cool of the air Mother Nature watched. Her body was invisible to all of their eyes. She hesitantly turned to her father, his drained form in the corner making her heart almost go out to him, but she turned away. Fighting back the loving words she wanted to say. That creature wasn't her father anymore, it was a ghost, a spirit.

"They'll never find out the truth about each other Emily, especially him."

"The bet isn't over yet. They still have time." She sucked in a breath, looking toward the setting sun.

He laughed horribly, his voice like broken glass.

"You were foolish to make this bet with me. Once the winter solstice hits, you will no longer be able to protect them." His hand clenched into a fist. "They will be mine."

"No!" She spat, "They'll figure it out." She turned to them, "They have to." She felt his presence disappear, and her eyes trained on the two playing in the snow. Feeling fear twist her gut she looked up at the Moon, "Please, let them figure it out, let this not have been a mistake."

***

Jack laughed, "You got me good today Kat!" Not bothering to shake the snow out of his hoods and pockets. "I didn't know you were capable of having fun."