Chapter 10: Dreams Proove Confusing or The Forgotten Light

Sandy's island was always moving, it was never in a place for more than a day. Although the little man was still busy, he also needed time to get away and rest himself. Which was probably why he didn't show up to the meeting, at least that's what North suggested. Luckily the magical map had been given had been more than helpful. Jack stuffed into his pocket as he flew over the golden island.

He hadn't wanted to find Sandy at first, but he was afraid the little man might genuinely be upset with him. But finally, between finding out what Katherine was, and finding out about the Weepers, he had come to the silent decision to trust what North said.

The sand was moving and twisting around like early morning mist. The dreams lifted up around Jack in a swirling cloud. Any plants that grew here were few and in between. Most of them lotus flowers as they could float with the sand unrooted. But years of being on the island had turned the ordinarily pink blossoms into the same precious gold as the sand.

"Sandy?" Jack landed, feeling his feet sink into the warm sand.

One of the lotus's opened as he passed, shooting sparkling gold particles that Jack waved from his face. He coughed, feeling some the of the light dust on his tongue and in his eyes. They were more delicate than the sand but just as effective at putting him into a bit of a haze. The dreamsand bent and bowed before his eyes, morphing as he stumbled through his half dreamy state.

He hands twitched to rub his eyes, knowing he would only grind the dreamsand deeper.

"Sandy, it's me, Jack." He stumbled over the sand, trying to keep from falling onto the beach. He would be out like a light the moment he did. "I need to ask a favor, please."

Just then he heard singing. It was soft and hypnotic in tone, but Jack was old enough to recognize it as a siren. There were sirens here too! Why hadn't North warned him! Placing a hand on either side of his head he tried to block out the singing but the farther he walked, the louder it became. Sirens always had trouble working on him, although he could never figure out why. Maybe it was because he didn't know what he wanted?

However, this time they were working better than they ever had before.

"Jack Frost seeks answers he does." The soothing voices sang.

"We have the answers to the spirits plight." Sung another.

"Come seek us out if dare to in spite."

The dramatic tone drew Jack without him even meaning to. And before he could stop himself, he was standing at the edge of the island. Looking down he saw beings of teal and gold, with long scaly tales and bright golden eyes. It was is as if the dreamsand had morphed with their bodies.

One rose from the water, her long golden arm reaching to grab Jack's arm, "Come to us, look in our eyes."

He bent down, completely entranced by their voice and looked into their glazed gaze.

"Look in our eyes and see through the lies."

Jack's took a step forward. He knew he that was wrong, he should be scared. Heck, they could drown him so quickly and leave him at the bottom of the ocean. But his body was compelled to do what he knew could kill him.

Jack fought to keep his eyes open. He struggled desperately to get away, feeling slimy hands wrap around his arm, pulling him down. Maybe they had stopped singing, perhaps he had come to his senses, but suddenly he snapped.

He began to struggle but dozens of them already had wrapped him in an iron grip. Dragging him down into the water. Where was his staff? Where was Twiner! He shouted turning to see it on the beach, lying in the dreamsand abandoned.