Chapter 12: Old Scars and New

He knocked on the door worriedly, gripping his staff tightly. He was answered with a croaky. "Come in."

And he opened the door. The living room was dimly lit, and against the wall, with the curtains drawn was Katherine pouring over a pile of paperwork. She rubbed her eyes and turned. "Hello, Jack, sorry. Sorry about the mess, I was doing some research on this weeper problem."

She immediately turned back to her work, a grim look of determination set on her brow. Jack gaped at her.

A mess was an understatement, this was chaos! The kitchen sink was full of dishes, a cold cup of tea sat next to an open book. Her hair, usually in a neat bun stuck up in sloppy curls and knots. Papers were all over the place, scattered on the floor the couches and pinned to the walls. The Map had pins in it, and it had been redrawn, this time on transparent paper with another map underneath showing Pitch's lair and the ship.

It was clear that she hadn't been working on only the weepers.

She turned to him again, fixing the paper and he saw her eyes were red with purple bags under them. "I'm missing something, I'm so close, but every time I get there it slips away." She stood up, walking to the map and running a hand over her face.

"Um, Kat?" He asked, staring worriedly at Kailash, Who was curled in the corner, looking as concerned as a goose can in her situation.

"It's like air, it keeps slipping through my fingers." She touched the map, "It's all connected, but I just can't see how."

Jack picked up the tea, and soon realized it wasn't tea at all, but cold black coffee. "When was the last time you slept?"

She chuckled darkly, "Rest is for the weary, sleep is for the dead." She tapped the paper again and placed it neatly on her desk.

Jack blinked in surprise, then turned to the messy apartment. Kailash lay asleep in her cage, head tucked under a wing.

Finally, Jack turned to her, "Go sit on the window seat." He ordered.

She looked up at him, "Why should I--"

"Just do it!" He said, making her jump in her chair.

She rubbed her eyes but did as she was told. "Did you remember your book?"

He sat down on the coffee table in front of the window seat. "Forget about my books, just close your eyes."

"But this makes no sense--"

"Close your eyes!" He said again.

She scowled but did, "I don't see what the whole point of this is."

"Just count." Jack crossed his legs.

She shifted, leaning against the pillow, "How far?"

He thought for a second then replied, "Count to ten."

She sighed, shaking her head, "I still don't see the point. But if it will make you happy--one...two...three...four...five..si--" Her voice faded, and her head tilted as she drifted to sleep.

Jack let out a breath of relief. She was more tired then she let on. How long had it been since she actually got a good night's rest? He stood up, picking up a quilt and laying it on her. She curled into it sighing. Kailash tweeted from her cage softly as she too slept, head drooped into the croon of her wings. Jack looked around the messy apartment.

Books were tilted on bookshelves, dishes filled the sink, laundry was piled in the corner. Jack rubbed his neck as he looked around. "What have you been doing?" He whispered.

He was tempted to clean it up, as a little surprise to her. But truth be told, he had never done dishes, or organized books or done..anything cleaning related. The closest thing he ever did was washing his hoodie. He yanked at the front of his hoodie and looked at the piles of laundry.