Chapter 17: A Painful Past Revisited

"It's better than I dreamed!" Katherine said looking out the window of her room at the earth far below. Her hands gripped the window sill and a smile was on her young fair face. He stared at her, his hand holding the diamond staff as he smiled. "Can you believe we get to be on the Moon Clipper! That we will get to meet Tsar?" She swirled to him, her face practically glowing in the light of the sun that showed through the tinted windows.

He chuckled and leaned over her shoulder, their hand touching. Suddenly his glow flickered and he flinched pulling away and clutching his chest. Katherine swirled to him, eyes wide. "Are you alright Nightlight?"

His skin flickered between blue and creme and he held his staff in up against his chest as if to keep himself together. When the tremure faded he looked up, forcing a smile. But his smile couldn't hide the pain in his eyes, nor the fear. She took his hand from his chest and intertwined her fingers with his.

Just then the Moon Clipper shook. She heard shouts and a loud copper horn sounded in the air. Katherine gasped, falling on his armored chest with a thump. He caught her and the two ran to the window. Outside in the outreaches of space, a dark, lightless mass made its way steadily to them. She could see the chains that impaled the side, and there was another bang as more chains shot out, impaling the moon clipper in iron shadows. She grabbed the window sill, praying for the vibration to stop. She could feel Nightlight pressing against, trying to keep her still. It was as if the ship was falling apart.

The two without another word ran from the window and down the grand halls of the Moon Clipper. Moon Bots rolled around along with Moon Mice who scattered into holes that none of them could see.

"Remain Calm and stay in your Corridors, Remain Calm and stay in Corridors."

The order rang out in a robotic tone, slamming against her eardrums. Everything was bathed in red light, messing with her sight and making it hard for her to think as another chain slammed into the side of the Moon Clipper. This time Nightlight lost his footing, nearly being thrown over the side of the stairwell. She grabbed his wrist and tugged him to safer footing as he did.

The two stumbled to sitting on the ground in front of a round window, looking out at the mass of shadow that was becoming clearer. It writhed as if alive, and both of them saw who was at the helm. His grey face was unmistakable, eyes as white ice looking through the window. Katherine put a hand over her mouth, stifling a scream of horror at the hideous man that stared at her. His lips curled and she white, pointed teeth in the gruesome form of a smile.

Nightlight jumped to his feet and ran to the window. His hand went through the glass like water through a sith and she grabbed his hand. "What are you doing?"

Nightlight turned to her, and his eyes flickered between green and brown. He looked back out at the monster of a man, his eyes trained on him like a scope. He stuck his arm through the window.

She grabbed his arm, holding him in place, "Don't do this, not now!" He turned to back and met her gaze. She struggled not to shake or cry, her voice rattling like leaves. "Please."

He bent down, rubbing a thumb on her cheek, softness in flickering eyes as he did. He looked so human to her, not the lost soul she had met less than five years ago. Could he have changed that much? She held his hand there, waiting for him to nod in agreement. To go with her to find Tsar. But instead, he bent down, placing his forehead on hers.

"I have to do something." His voice was hardly a whisper and yet it still echoed in her ears like a mantra.

He pulled away, yanking from her arm and jumping through the Moons window, flying toward the Ship that was mere yards away. "No!" She cried, running to the window.