Chapter 7: There Are More Questions Than Ever

"Where were you, Jack!" Bunny almost growled when the spirit flew in.

Jack landed on the floor of North's workshop feeling a little out of place by the judgmental stares of his companions. "I was busy guys, sorry!" He waves his hand as if in self-defense.

Tooth blinked at Jack in surprise. "Are you...wearing a button up?" Her purple eyes widened.

Jack played with the collar for a moment, "Yeah, I thought I could try something new."

"Who cares about yuh wardrobe mate!" Bunny went on. "We're supposed to be having a meeting!"

North grabbed the bridge of his nose, cementing the grandfatherly look he gave, "Seriously Jack, these are just drills. But if these be real emergencies..."

Bunny made an explosion noise, expanding his paws as if it were a mushroom cloud.

"I get it cottontail." Jack leaned on his staff. "But where is Sandy?"

The Guardians all turned to North.

"Well, eh, he could not come. Sent message hours ago about needing rest." Bunny and Tooth all shrugged this off but Jack couldn't take this seriously. This wasn't the first time Sandy had not come to a meeting. In fact, ever since he had become a Guardian, he had hardly seen the little man. And while he, Tooth and Bunny were all expected to show they gave Sandy a lot of leeway to come or not come as he pleased.

North went through the usual stuff, he talked about recently lost believers and recently gained. He offered different techniques for when they came across other dangerous spirits. Etc. It was all useless nonsense to Jack. He found himself drifting off, falling into a daydream. He was sure he heard laughter, children's laughter and thought for a split second that he was looking into bright silver eyes before he was shaken awake.

"Jack!" It was Tooth, who looked at him a slightly worried expression. "What's wrong, are you okay?"

"It's fine Tooth, it has been busy year." North smiled at Jack, "Meeting over for today, we'll have another drill soon."

Bunny was staring at Jack, looking as though he had just seen a ghost. But he didn't say anything. He tapped his giant paw and the floor instead, and a hole opened beneath, swallowing him up.

Meanwhile, Tooth stayed behind, biting her lip. "Jack, you don't usually zone out like that. And you looked so...strange."

"I'm fine Tooth, really." Jack yawned, "Just busy, we're all busy these days."

North nodded in agreement, "You can go Tooth, I would like to speak with Jack though."

She flapped her wings, staring at Jack for a long time as if searching for something. Her hand pressed against his cheek for a second, and that loving almost lustful look came to her eyes. It had been no secret to any of the Guardians how Tooth felt about him. But this look she gave him was different, it was almost as if she realized something about him that he didn't. She pulled away, forcing her usual bright smile and nodded to North, "Okay, see you later!"

When they were both gone Jack again turned to Nicholas Saint North. The massive man turned his head, gesturing in the direction of his office. A private conversation wasn't usually a good sign. So he stepped back, "I think I better go North."

Nicholas scowled, and Jack straightened feeling the hairs on his neck stick up.

His face straightened, and he let out a hearty laugh, that was more befitting of the giant. The old Cossack wrapped an arm around Jack's shoulder. "Come, Jack! You're not in trouble I just wish word with you!" His thick Russian accent made the boy cringe, but he nodded.

He half walked, half dragged himself to private work office. As soon as he was in the door slammed behind and he turned.

Despite their almost year of working together, North was intimidating! His vast body towered a good two feet above Jack's tall, thin frame. Large muscles could be seen as North rolled up his sleeves and grabbed his chisel. As soon as he grabbed it, the spirit stepped back.

"Relax Jack, I not hurt you!" He chuckled and began chip away at a chunk of ice on his desk. "So What is deal?"

Jack peered at the sculpture for a moment entranced by how quickly and delicately he hack at the ice. Shaking the aw away he questioned, "What do you mean?"

North never looked up from his work as he said, "You haven't been feeling weird?"

"No of course not!" Jack lied standing up a little straighter, and North stopped, raising an eyebrow at Jack. "Okay, maybe a little. It's hard to explain."

"You can try, I all ears," North said.

Jack sighed, sitting on top of a block of ice, "That's just the problem, I don't think I can. I doubt you will even believe me if I told you."

"Our whole lives are centered on belief." He smirked. "Try me."

Jack chuckled and cocked his head. "Ever since I got back the Burgess for the yearly snow I've had weird flashes. They're like memories but not exactly..."

North looked up at the boy.

"I know," He threw up his hands, "I sound crazy! But I am not making this up." He looked down at his hands, "It's like ever since I've met her I've been...someone else. Or at least my memories are someone else."

"Her?" Nickolas' eyes widened.

A redness rose to Jack's ears. "It's not like that, it's weird." He tapped his thumb against Twine and took a deep breath, "She must be in her twenties and she can...see me."

North continued to stare at him, stopping his work for the first time since they had started.

"That's not possible is it?" The boy continued, "I mean, it shouldn't be, but it is! She can see me, and when I was with her, others could see me. This old woman she lived with, a waiter--"

North waved his hand, "Wait, wait, you say waiter saw you? Old woman too?"

"Yes!" Jack jumped up, "I mean, I'm not even used to kids seeing me, and as soon as she gets to Burgess, it's as if everyone can see me." He bit his lip, "How does that happen? I don't understand."

Nicholas began to stroke his beard, "You say you have been getting weird flashes too?"

Jack nodded, "It all started when I accidentally slammed head first into her." He rubbed the bump on his head attentively.

"I would say, something is lost in your subconscious, something you can not reach on own." He continued to stroke his beard, "I would see Sandy, he may be able to help."

"I haven't seen him since I became official." Jack rubbed his neck, "I have a feeling I peeved the little guy."

"You did not 'peeve' Sanderman, as you say." He crossed his arms and sighed, "But I will tell you, I do not like those flashes of yours, and if they keep going I am afraid they get worse."

"What do you mean?" Jack asked as North got up, reaching for a book that sat on his shelf. "What happened?"

He didn't look up as he flipped through the pages, "Your eyes started glowing Jack, they started glowing bright green."