Chapter 21: An End Brings a New Beginning

Katherine looked out her window at the sky grew pale as the sun was just rising. It was early morning, the long night had dragged on endlessly with packing, but it was finally over. Closing her bag, she turned to her beloved snow goose, who stood in the empty apartment awaiting her owner's next move.

"It's time for you to go again isn't it?"

Katherine turned at the sound of the voice to see Martha. Even in her old age she looked lovely. Holding herself up with a walking cane, smiling at the girl.

"I'm sorry—"

"Don't be." The old woman staggered forward, and reached up with an withered hand. "You have no idea how much it means to me that you were even here. In all my years of living all I ever wanted to do was thank you."

Katherine took Martha's hand, smiling softly. "Thank you as well, without you I don't where I would be."

She laughed, "God works in mysterious ways child! Now go, and remember," the old woman began to walk away slowly, "If you ever need anything I will be here. Heaven ain't taking me until I say so!" She raised a fist in defiance and Katherine laughed.

The Guardian reached up, pressing a small hand to Kailash's soft feathered cheek. Kailash bowed to look Katherine in the eye, her black ones reflecting Kat's smiling face. The two of them closed their eyes, and she pressed their head together. After a moment of silence, Katherine let go, turning instead to the apartment door that led out of her happy little space, for the second time.

Taking a deep breath she heaved the bag and her beloved Qwerty, bracing herself for the brutal air that awaited outside. Sucking in a deep breath, she grabbed the knob.

Katherine swung open the door to the still sleeping town, a town snowed in, a city at peace. It had grown more peaceful in the weeks she spent here, but as Christmas was over, she had been wakened by a dream telling her it was time to move on. She had gotten these dreams a million times, but this time was going to be different.

Her feet crunched across the snow-covered sidewalk. As she walked, she found herself passing the school she had worked in for over a month. Her memories drifted to those first few days, and she smiled. How ridiculous she had been, and silly Jack had been. Visions of him rubbing his head filled her mind.

Her hand brushed the bench she had sat at, giving Jack his first book. Peter Pan. The book held so much meaning for her now, more then it had ever before. She stopped once too look into the cafe, it's lights off, but the smell of coffee and cakes still hung in the air. She giggled remembering Jacks nervousness, the way he played with his shirt collar.

She tugged her scarf closer, feeling Kailash push her shoulder gently as if to say "Hurry mother."

The woman giggled but didn't speed up. Instead, she stopped entirely standing before the park she had come to spend so much time in.

A pond stood freshly frozen, frost spread in floral patterns across the surface. Katherine remembered her first time on the ice, the hands of a small child dragging her across. Stepping across, she made her way to a tree. Her ears echoed with the memory of children's laughter as they had decorated the knew branches with christmas lights and bulbs. It blinked in the darkness, full of color.

Crooked branches sparkling with snow stretched up to catch the silver light of the moon. She looked up pressing her hand to the bark, seeing children in her mind's eyes climbing the tree.

"You ready to go?"

Katherine turned and saw Jack there, he stood in a button up smiling down at her. "I am, it's what I do after all when my job is gone."