Chapter 15: In Which Katherine Chooses the Children

Jack knocked on the door as soon as it was morning, his face beaming with excitement. "Katherine, guess what?"

She opened her mouth to reply, but before she could, he grabbed her hand.

He grinned wildly, eyes wide, "I told the Guardians about you!"

Katherine felt the pain in her heart deepen, her stomach sinking all the way to her toes. "Jack---"

"This is great! Everything will be just as it was."

"Jack will you--"

"Tooth is planning a party." He let go of her hand, "North is helping, and Bunny wants to make food, although I don't think that overgrown jackrabbit even can cook, to be honest."

"JACK!"

The Guardian jumped, turning to face her again.

Katherine wanted to tell him, about Pitch, about the threat. About everything. This may be her only chance. But as she stood there a shadow appeared behind him, it rose over him, smiling evilly. She almost choked looking up at his massive form. She dropped her head, turning away.

"Is everything okay Kat?" Jack asked, putting a hand on her shoulder.

She clenched her fists tightly, trying to keep her hands from shaking. Finally, she looked up, forcing a smile, "I'm fine Jack," She said in as happy of a tone as she could muster. "It's just you tend to ramble like a flake sometimes."

He laughed, shaking his head, "Anyway, they forgive you, Katherine, they miss you." He took her hand, "What do you say?"

"Of course!" She smirked, "Tomorrow, Right after class, Kailash and I will be outside the school."

He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, "Want me to walk you to school?"

She forced a laugh, "No need Frost, but thanks."

"I know you don't need me to, but I want to!" his ears flushed and he stepped back. "That is if you want. You don't have to. I understand!"

Katherine shook her head, "I would love to Jack." For the last time, she thought miserably.

He smiled and took her hand. Before she could protest, she was being led down the sidewalk to the school. His one hand was in his pants pocket, and she noticed, not for the first time, that he wasn't wearing his usual hoodie. His hair although a mess, looked different, more fluffy and light.

"You look nice." She commented.

He smirked, "You act like you've never noticed."

She felt the heat in her cheeks and turned away, her eyes on the school ahead of her. "No snow?"

"Not today, it isn't winter yet." He chuckled, "But I will bring some more soon. My talents don't just revolve around snow you know."

She wanted to retort back, but she didn't trust herself to speak. Instead, she clamped her mouth shut. Soon they arrived at the school.

"Thank you," She managed to say, turning to him from the door.

"Before you go," He reached into his sleeve, a large yellow sunflower covered in frost appearing as if by magic. "I won't be back until tomorrow, but hopefully you can enjoy this little ray of sunshine I managed to find."

She stared at the flower for a long time, feeling it's stem being pressed into her hand. Jack was doing his best, but his ears were bright, and as he stepped back he nearly slipped on his own frost.

Katherine put a hand to her lips, pressing the flower to her chest with her left hand.

"Umm," He gave her a weak smile, "See you soon Kit Kat."

She forced a nod, and he left in a cloud of snow and ice. At the door of the school. Knowing that when dawn came again, she would be long gone.

***

It took more work to move from this apartment then it took for her to move from any other place she had stayed in her entire life. The kid's drawings were carefully placed in books, to protect them from anywhere and tear. A doll, a little girl, had given her to say thank was shrunk down to the size of a charm she could tuck into her back. She didn't want to leave anything behind. Not one gift, not one single piece. If she could take the town with her, she would. If I could take Jack with me...

She shook the thought away and took the large mirror off the wall, pushing it into her bag. She remembered absently the many centuries ago that Ombric had made this bag. It could hold anything. And with Norths help they had managed to remove the mountain the Ombric had somehow tucked inside. It hadn't been easy. Then she remembered the last call she had with him, little over a week ago. If he knew what I was doing...

But she shook that thought away too, forcing her clothes and her favorite lamp into the bag. Finally, she grabbed her jacket, putting it on and tucking her scarf into the warm fur. She picked up a paper and wrote a quick note. Then turned to the window seat, where a vase and her bright yellow sunflower sat.

Katherine felt her heart jump into her throat. Remembering the clumsiness of the way Jack had walked away. His childlike smirk, and that bright glow that filled his eyes whenever he looked at her.

Her fingers brushed the yellow petals of the sunflower. It took all her fighting to keep back the tears that threatened to burn. "I'm sorry, I wish I could have told you."

She turned away and grabbed her bag.

Down a flight of stairs in the dark she heard the steady breathing of Martha in her bedroom. Her old friend had been so kind to her despite her rudeness. She wished she didn't have to leave so suddenly. She walked into the kitchen, placing a small note on the table and turned to the front door.

Outside she could see Kailash on the lawn, her head drooped in dismay. The goose had not been keen on leaving, putting up quite a fight. But it had been no good. Katherine was right, as much as the goose hated to agree with her. Head bowed she allowed her Mother to wrap her arms around her neck and be lifted onto her back. "It will be okay sweetie."

Katherine kissed the goose's neck. It stretched out its wings, nearly knocking out the glass in the windows. Then with one massive beat, they flew up in the air, and out over the city. Katherine looked back only once and instantly regretted it.

Whether it was from regret or the cold wind, she didn't know. But her eyes brimmed with tears, and she dropped her head into the soft feathers of her goose.