Chapter 4: Curiosity Breeds Curiosity

Katherine put away the last of her papers and turned off the light to the classroom. After such a long day it was great to be heading home. She hoped her students were at least having fun. But for now, she needed to get back and write her list.

Wrapping her brown scarf around her, she walked outside. It was cloudy and cold. Her breath showed in the yellow streets lights. Taking a deep breath that made her lungs hurt she sighed. It was a lovely autumn night; it reminded her of the hikes she made in the Himalayan Mountains with Kailash and Nightlight. Now people claimed that climbing that altitude was deadly, but then the Lunar Lama's kept extra care to make sure it was safe for any traveler. That was three hundred years ago, now they kept that magic to themselves in an attempt to protect himself from human interference.

Katherine mindlessly walked in the cold, tugging the scarf over her mouth. She looked up briefly to ensure she was going the right way and then looked back down at her feet as she trailed off into thought again.

How long ago had that been? She had been eleven or twelve at the time. It was three hundred something years ago. She didn't know. She had been put hiking after an avalanche, and that's how they found Kailash. Her mother, seven eighths dead was still trying to protect her egg. It was only with Her soft words and gentle kindness did she manage to coax the mother bird off her egg. The pastel goose had moved aside just enough for Katherine and Nightlight to heave the egg out before she had died.

That had been a solemn and at the same time; miraculous day.

Katherine walked into her apartment only to hear the frustrated squawks of Kailash herself. "Alright, alright, hold on sweetie."

"Katherine?" An entirely different voice said from the other side of the room.

The girl turned to the voice. "Ombric? Are you..."

"I was just talking to Kailash over there." The voice seemed a little sketchy like it was coming over the radio.

"Where are you?"

He laughed, "In the mirror my dear!"

Katherine turned and ran to the mirror that she had hung on the wall. "Of course!" She laughed when she saw the familiar face peering back at her.

Ombrics eyes sparkled, despite his age, he always had a childlike glint. "How are you, my dear?"

"I'm--"

Kailash cage raddled, and she sighed.

"One-second Ombric." She flipped the lock of the cage with pinky and the core flung open. Kailash grew to her normal side instantly, her neck growing long, her wings stretching out... So that it knocked over a picture frame. Katherine winced as the glass shattered. "Kailash!" She scolded.

Ombric laughed, "I guess the cage has done some good."

The girl nodded as her gooses long neck wrapped around her in a hug. "How are you Ombric?"

"I'm well, can't complain you know? Some of the children are more rambunctious than last year I feel." He smirked, "But if I can handle Nicolas..." There was a loud "BOOM" behind him, and he swirled around. "No, Toren, put the fire bottle down!" He let out a breath of relief, and Katherine giggled.

"You were saying?"

He smirked, "Seriously child, but how are you?" He made a motion to sit down, and hot cocoa floated to his hand.

Katherine smiled as she leaned against Kailash, "I'm good. I was sent to Burgess if you can believe it."

"Oh?" He took a sip from his mug, "And where is that?"