Chapter 6: A Second Introductions Turns Out Better than Planned

"Jack?" Tooth fluttered above the boy, a dozen fairies surrounding her like a choir. "What are you doing here?"

He jumped and turned to her. He looked at her stunned for a second then stuttered, "Oh hey Tooth! Hey... Um...how are your fairies?"

She hovered closer, her rainbow like wings humming, "They're fine Jack. But what are you doing here?"

He tapped his staff nervously with his forefinger. "I'm...looking for my teeth."

Tooth folded her wings, dropping so that she stood in front of him, he was a good deal taller than her at only five foot two, so she had to look up. "You're teeth? What for?"

"I would think that would be obvious." A smirk played on his face.

"But Jack, you already know where your teeth are, and I thought you already went through all of your memories."

Jack leaned against the wall and let out a breath, "I thought so too" He mumbled, "But something isn't right...I met someone, but they seem so familiar."

Tooth raised an eyebrow, "But we have already gone through all your teeth."

He frowned, "That's impossible. All those memories were from like...fourteen up." Jack looked at the cylinders that decorated Tooths cove. "There has to be more than that, birthdays, my sister being born. Anything!"

She shook her head, "That was all the teeth I collected from you, Jack."

He continued to stare at where his teeth rested, protected by gold and fairies. If those were all his memories, then where did his memories of Katherine come from. He tapped his staff again. "Why is she so familiar? I feel like I should have known her for years."

She sighed, flying again, "You are three hundred years old. Perhaps you saw her as a child."

"Maybe," But it didn't seem right. Jacks mind kept flickering to the sounds of a soft chuckle. Which was reasonable enough except they were consistently followed by the images of some sort of...giant goose. He grabbed his head.

Tooth cocked her head in a bird-like way, her purple eyes shining thoughtfully. "Sometimes Jack, our memories go deeper than teeth. They go beyond our mind and to our emotion and dreams."

He blinked up at her. "Then...should I see Sandy?"

"That may be a good idea." She smirked, "But also, why don't you try talking to her."

He sighed, "I made a complete fool of myself. I doubt Katherine would want to see me again."

Tooth laughed, "I don't know, some girls will accept an apology."

He looked up at her again, a small smile on his face, "Thanks, Tooth, I'll try."

***

The students were already sitting down, chatting and laughing. Katherine made a mental note of each child, observing them. One wasn't there, and she wondered if maybe she had missed a report. But just as she was sure he wouldn't show the boy walked in.

"Jamie!" She smiled, "You're here just in time."

"Sorry Mrs. Guse, I was talking to my uh...cousin."

She kept a smile on her face but inside she felt an awkward feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Jackson Overland?"

"That's him!"

"Yes, he came to visit you yesterday."

"About that." Jamie chuckled nervously, "He asked me to tell you he's sorry for freaking you out. He not exactly the most social person. He travels plenty, But he forgets his manners sometimes."