Chapter 8: Change Has But Just Begun

In the quiet and the calm of the school lunch hour, Katherine walked the school's hall. This was her hour, an hour to reflect on what she could do to help the kids here, to find the main problem with whatever this towns dilemma may be. But she was confused, more confused then she ever had been in a town like this.

These Children were unnaturally happy and friendly, parents were more than attentive. In fact, when she researched the town, she found divorce rates were extremely low, even nonexistent.

"Why on earth would he send me here?"

She ran a hand over the lockers, feeling the hand painted metal. It was cold and worn, well used. Each one was different, decorated to match the child who owned them. She marveled at each one. Then she heard something, like weeping. Her hands dropped from the metal frame, and she turned to the sound.

Around the corner, kneeling on the brick was a little redhead child, her hair a mess and her head bowed. She couldn't be no more than seven. "Are you okay?"

The girl startled at her voice and turned. "What—Who—"

Katherine knelt before the girl so that she wasn't so afraid. "Are you hurt?"

The girl stared for a long time then turned away.

"It's okay, I won't hurt you." She said, sitting down cross-legged. "Look, my name is Katherine, I'm a teacher. What's your name?"

The girl blinked back tears, "Rosie." She murmured.

"That's a lovely name, your hair looks like a rose."

The girl wiped her nose still not looking up to her.

"Do you want to tell me what's wrong?"

Rosie brought her knees to her chin, "I was s-supposed to read in front of the class, but I'm a ter-terrible reader!" She said, "And they all make fun of how I s-s-stutter."

Katherine sighed, sitting down next to her. "You know, you aren't the first person to have a speech problem. Lots of people do, one of England's most famous Kings stuttered!"

The girl looked up, "B-but I'm no king." She put her head in her hands, "I'm an n-n-"

"Don't you dare say that word!" Katherine ordered, "I hate that word."

The girl clamped her mouth shut and looked up.

The woman frowned leaning against the wall, "What you need is some confidence." She murmured. Then a small smile played on her lips. "Come with me to the library."

"W-what!"

Katherine stood up, holding out her hand, "Don't worry, just trust me."

The girl looked at the hand for a moment then took it.

***

"There is something wrong with Jack Frost!"

The giant egg-shaped mirror he was shouting into buzzed with static. But a voice, young but wise drifted through with amazing control. "Calm yourself Aster."

Bunnymond threw a hand to his hairy chest before he turned around grabbing his green robe. "How dare you ask that!" He shouted. "Jack's eyes have never glowed before!"

He grabbed some scrolls, each ending in egg shape knobs which he carefully unrolled.

"Because he never awakened himself before you."

"You idiot!" Aster put on egg-shaped glasses with a frustrated flair trying to peer through them at the scroll. "His own powers, even his memories could kill him! Imagine his human mind trying to contain all that!"