Chapter 9: Questions are Answered At Last...Well...Some

Jack arrived early in the morning, probably earlier then she wanted, but he had been too restless the night before. Not a moon full of dream sand could have helped him sleep. It took a lot of self-control to knock on the door instead of coming through the window like he did with Jamie. He could only imagine what he could walk into...actually, maybe he shouldn't.

Despite how early it was the door opened immediately upon his knock. However, it wasn't Katherine standing there but the old woman, Martha he recalled. "Oh! Jack Frost!" She put a hand to her fragile breast in wonder, "She told me you would be coming!" She stepped aside letting him in. "Tsk, tsk!" She clicked when he walked in.

And he turned around a little self consciously. "What?"

The old woman tugged at his hoodie with spotted hands, "Is this all the clothing you own?"

His face flushed, "Yes, um...Is Katherine upstairs?"

She shook her head, not at the question but at him, "Honestly, I expected better. Yes, she is upstairs. But she is taking her time, you know how girls are I'm sure."

He nodded tucking a hand into his pocket.

Martha 'tsk' again, then lead him into the living room. It was darker than the hallway, with curtains drawn tight. It was simple, a recliner in the corner, an old tv set up. Black and white pictures covered one wall above a small end table. The end table had a rose on it along with the Jewish flag and group photo of kids. He found himself drawn to this table and its thick layer of dust almost magnetically.

"Oh yes," The woman said following him to it, "That was a long time ago, not that I need to tell you."

He picked up the picture and peered at the details. A small child was being held by a woman whose face was blurred out.

"I was only nine, lots of kids started that journey, few made it to the end. I lost my cousin, Ruth." She sighed. "A little thing, only six. She was such a sweetheart."

Jack frowned at the picture. She was only six? He knew World War Two was brutal, but it still floored him when he heard about the casualties. He couldn't even remember how many children had died, let alone anyone else.

"Miss. Katherine...she was amazing." She reached into the drawer. "Whenever we stopped, and we didn't stop often, she told us stories while we slept to keep our mind off of the dangers, and sometimes, she would pull me onto her lap and sing." Martha pulled out a charcoal drawing, it featured all the children sitting in a circle with her and singing. There was no denying that the picture was very similar to Katherine's style.

He stared at it for a long time, "You've known her, that long?"

"She was always there, just when we needed her the most." She smiled, "When we were hungry, she had food, when we were thirsty she had water. She had ointments I still haven't been able to find to this day. Things with strange, otherworldly names."

Jack couldn't find words for what he was being told. He felt he heard something like a secret, and he had the strong temptation to leave her to her memories.

She sighed now, holding the old picture. "She told me I would never see her again, but I still believed, after all these years. And I saw her again just in time. I just wish I could have thanked her properly."

Martha gently ran a hand over the paper.

"I can't imagine what she has seen and been through.She was shot you know, my cousin I mean. It was one of our more dangerous nights, and Katherine tried so hard to move us out of the line of fire. Ruth had fallen, and I remember Katherine scooping her up in arms like she was no more than a doll." A tear rolled down Martha's wrinkled cheek, which she wiped with a bony hand. She looked up at Jack who stared down at her with a sympathetic look. "We sat down in safety at some point, and I remember Katherine crying, holding her and whispering something like a prayer over and over. I had never seen her cry before, and I wondered for the first time how many children must have died like that. How many gave their final breath I'm her arms? I can't imagine..." She pressed the picture to her chest sadly.