Chapter 19: Reunited At Last

In the frigid air of the North Pole, cool breezes were not uncommon. But when this cool breeze came, North sensed something behind it. Looking up at the skylight, he saw Jack flying in, a limp bundle in his arms. He half stumbled, and half walked out of the air. His white t-shirt was stained with red and in his arms was none other than Katherine. "North, she's hurt!"

North pulled Katherine from his arms, her skin was as white as wax, her eyes closed. In his arms, she was so small, like a child. He hugged her close and ran from Jack leaving him in the globe room. Jack followed, running as fast as he possibly could.

North ran into a small room and laid her down on it. "Jack, call Bunny! Send out signal!"

Jack ran to the globe, his heart thumping too wildly for his brain to think. The massive switch was hard for his hands, that were small and thin. He grabbed it and tried to pull it up but even with all his strength that was impossible. He heard a grunt behind him and before he could turn around, a large furry hand had reached over him and pulled the lever.

Jack stumbled back, letting go so that he could look up at the that northern lights that rippled in the air like ribbons. It may have been seconds, maybe minutes, but it felt like an eternity before he heard the familiar grunt from Bunny. Jack swirled around.

"Aye Jack, what's the big--"

"It's Katherine!" Jack shouted, "He hurt her, he--"

"Woah!" Bunny grabbed his shoulder, "Slow down mate, where is she?" He was amazingly calm, the massive rabbit giving him a firm squeeze on the shoulder. Jack panted, trying to keep the rising panic down. He heard another voice which he recognized as the Yeti. Bunny let go of Jack's shoulder and followed him, Jack flying close behind. A short time later they came to a door.

North was inside, holding Jack's hoodie to the wound. He swirled around when he heard them. "Bunny!"

The pooka rushed in, slamming the door behind him.

"Hey!" He slammed his fist on it. "Let me in!" There was no answer. The locked door rattled when he took the knob. He pulled and turned, but there was no getting in. He backed away leaning against the wall.

It was only then that he looked down at his t-shirt and saw the blood. He grabbed the once white fabric, looking at the blackness that stained it. He looked at his hands and shirt, and at the door, and his knees buckled beneath him. He leaned against the wall facing the door. He felt baby tooth grab his ear, but that touch was distant from his mind. he heard the wings and he was finally utterly and completely alone.

He never took his eyes off that door. He sat that for hours, numb, with eyes trained on it, like his very will would make it fling open. "I should have been there." He thought to himself over and over. "I should have helped her."

Anger filled his chest and his body shook. He looked down, at his hands again, and saw briefly a soft glow flowing through his veins.

"Jack?" He turned and looked up to see Tooth. She hovered in the hall, frowning.

He jumped to his feet, and she saw the blood. Her eyes widened, "It's Katherine, she was--"

Tooth didn't let him finish. She wrapped him in a hug. "Baby Tooth told me everything." She whispered to him.

He didn't answer, instead he finally let himself cry.

***

Her hair had never been down before. Now it laid strewn across her pillow in thick curls because of her bun. He brushed back some of her bangs and sat down in a chair. Jack took her hand. "I am so stupid."