Chapter 18: In Which all Goes Dark

Jacks words burned into her skull as she led the children into the museum. A little girl with hair as dark as ebony held her hand smiling fondly at her teacher. Katherine smiled down but was too distracted to do much else as the kids started jumping with excitement. Dinosaurs bones were at the entrance, entirely constructed and rising above them "T-rex!" a boy jumped grabbing Katherine's sweater and pulling it.

The woman laughed and began to give her tour. Still even as she spouted random facts for the kids he mind was elsewhere. Her voice seemed almost disembodied compared to words that repeated in her mind. It was only shaken when the little girl holding her hand squeezed it tightly. "Mrs. Brook?"

Katherine turned to her.

"It's so dark, I'm scared."

It was then that she noticed the eerie silence that had fallen over the museum. The display cases were the only things lit. Massive beasts like bears and cougars lit in the ghostly yellow lights. The kids gathered closer to Katherine. It was almost as if the museum had closed. But that was impossible; it couldn't at this time of day. She looked up to see her breath crystallizing in the air.

Katherine grabbed her bag looking around the darkened museum. Shadows danced in the ambient light. Hands and teeth all thin and sharp. Pushing herself to the front of the kids she began to lead them back. "We have to get out of here—"

A laugh echoed through the museum making her skin prickle. The kids screamed and ran for the entrance, but they all slammed into it. It was closed off by a smooth dark surface that reflected their terrified faces. Katherine ran to it, slamming her fist against the surface as hard as she could as the evil laughter echoed through the closed room.

"You broke your promise, Katherine."

Cold sweat ran down the Guardians face, "No, no I didn't! He came to me!"

"You still spoke to him." Pitch's tall form appeared on the wall, a cruel smile playing on his lips. "Now, they," He waved his hands at the children, "Must pay."

Shadows rose around him, sharp and pointed like spears.

"Stay behind me." Katherine ordered

They came shooting for the kids, the extended spikes aimed at the one girl who had held her hand. Terrified the children scattered to all ends of the room, each searching for some exit. The ice wrapped around each, trapping them like bugs in tar. He laughed again, his voice deep with pleasure.

"No!" Katherine screamed, running up to him, "Let them go!"

The darkness grew around the children. Painful shouts filled the room. "Or what?" He asked.

Tears burned behind her eyes at the children's screams. But one child, a little girl had managed to wiggle out, falling to the ground. He turned, his mouth curved evilly and he waved his hand. Sharp thin darts of darkness shot like bullets toward the little one.

Everything slowed the sound of the child's screams muffled by her own heartbeat. She jumped in front of her, pushing the child to the wall. All at once spikes dove into her side. The child crawled away running for the entrance again. Pitch's booming laugh filled the space. The shadows released their hold, and each child thumped to the floor of the room.

Katherine gasped, struggling to stand before the man as she placed a hand on her side.

"I knew you would do that!" He cackled. She fell to her knees staring up. "You're so predictable Mother Goose, and now, you're dead." He threw back his head, the laughter cutting through the air like knives.

She grimaced in pain and grabbed the dark spear in her side, her breath coming out ragged. The little girl ran over to her, but walls of frost rose around her, "Mrs. Brook!"