Chapter 17

D R E W

  "What's wrong?"

I close the door of Vincent's apartment shut.
Vincent stands with a letter in his hand. "You tell me jackass." His stance was stiff and rigid. "What the fuck are you talking about-" Vincent throws me the letter and sits back down.

Unfolding the letter, I skim through the written text.

"What the hell is going on Drew?" Vincent drilled crossing his arms. "It's nothing, Vince-" He stands up and stalks closer. "This is not fucking anything Drew!" Vincent grabs the paper from my hand. "It's a fucking death threat! The letter isn't inviting you over for some tea and prissy lady shit- It's a death threat!"

I clench my fists in agitation. "I know Vince, I kno-" Vincent interrupts my speech once again. "Thing is Drew, I am not sure if you know how serious this shit actually is. It's a threat for your life!" His jaw clenches before he steps back. "Talk to me, I can help you. What the fuck happened that day?"

"I don't think your cop buddies can-"

"Forget that! Talk to me, Vincent! For fucks sake Drew what shit did you get in? You messed with James's people!" Vincent states referring to the letter. "I KNOW! Vincent I understand!"

"Great now that thats cleared up can you tell me what the fuck you did to have his men on you." I surpass him and sit on the edge of the couch. After a pregnant pause I answer,

  "I was at the wrong place at the wrong time."

H A R V E Y

    I sink into the mattress as my mind circles back to today afternoon. Drew's smiles and statements melted my heart.

I had never felt so in peace like I did today. Today was full of surprises and new things. It was refreshing. My new schedule paper laid on the coffee table next to my twin sized bed, reminding me of the wondeful news. I had finally been called back from one of many job applications.

It was at a local bookstore downtown, not far from the café. I would still get to visit Dianne throughout my breaks.

I glance at my clock and nearly tumble out of my bed. Work started in twenty minutes yet I still had not prepared. Running into my closet I grab a few clothes and most likely take the fastest shower known to women kind. "Ow!" My fingers throbbed after smacking them on the counter. Quickly dressing I grab my bag and apron.

With my phone in my hand I descend downstairs quietly. The sound of shouting resonated from the TV. I open the front door and step out. "What the fuck! It was a goal! Fucker ca-" I close the door before he continued his rant. The icy cold breeze wooshed passed as I take strides away from his home.

It doesn't take long to reach the café. I was so consumed in my own thoughts my journey to work shortened. Entering my work area I immediately spot my blonde friend. "Hey Dianne, I have exciting news!"
Dianne of course grins and returns my greeting. "It must be real good if you seem as bright as the morning sun." She teased throwing away a paper towel in a trash bin. My cheeks burn as I instantly think back to Drew. "Well! Go get dressed so you can tell me!" I was shooed away from behind the counter.

On my way to the lockers I pass the kitchen where our other partner stood washing dishes. "Good afternoon James!" Old man James turns and nods in acknowledgment. Walking into the locker rooms the door slams shut, automatically locking behind me.  Quickly changing out of my casual clothing I hurry and lock my locker shut. Almost skipping out I hurry to where Dianne stood.

"Now tell me. Does this upbeat mood have to do anything with a certain brown eyed handsome man?" Dianne grinned teasingly raising a brow.

"Maybe-" I flush and continue wiping the counter. "Oh aren't you cute. I remember the first time I felt those giddy feelings with Rueben. He was quite the looker too and such a gentleman. Pretty soon you'll be in love at the rate you're at." Dianne continued to tease poking my side.

"I don't think we'll get that far- I mean I don't-" I stumble upon my words as the reality of what Dianne said. Was it really that near to that one word? "Well why not! He's clearly smitten by you and you clearly feel the same. Have you guys established that you have feelings for eachother?"

I glance away from her prying eyes feeling shy. "You do like him, right Harvs?" Her tone softens as we both stop cleaning. "I-I'm not exactly sure. I don't know if my feelings run ocean deep or if this is a simple teenage infatuation? I don't know-"

"Let me stop you right there Harvey. You do like him. You've become a different person because of him. You've become better. You smile a hell of a lot more, you talk more, you look happy. Your eyes light up everytime he comes into the diner and you loosen up. What I want to tell you is that I do not think its a simple infatuation. I believe your feelings run deep for this man. I've never seen you like this with any other person. Do not second guess yourself and take the risk." Dianne explained.

"Thanks Dianne, I'll see about your advice."

"Good, now how did your interview go?" I bit my inner cheek as hapiness swarmed in me. "Well the manager and I spoke and I was given the job!" Dianne squeals and pulls me into a hug. "Congratulations Harvey! When do you start?"

"In about two weeks. I have to put in my two weeks notice today." I smile as Dianne blinks furiously. "Are you alright?"

"I'm going to miss you terribly Harvs. But I'm glad you got a better job. C'mere." Dianne pulls me in into another hug.