Chapter 20

HARVEY

  I hum along to the low playing song in one of the aisles. Grabbing a stack of books from the box, I start organizing them. Today was a slow day compared to most weekdays. I took the morning shift today as I had classes in the afternoon. It was nearly one in the afternoon and my shift ended in 30 minutes.

I planned to go straight home and clean up a bit. A little over a week has gone by since I've last seen my father. I feel terrible for feeling relieved as of now.

"Hey Harvey." Arms wrap around my waist spinning me around. I flinch at the sudden contact and hitch my breath, "Jeez, Drew you scared the crap out of me!" I attempt to shove him away. My lips quirk upwards as he grunts and adds more weight to his legs. "What brings you here? I'm out in less than 25 minutes, so you can't distract me right now-"

His hands leave my waist and plant themselves on my cheeks. His thumbs soothingly rub my cheekbones, effectively cutting me off. "I'm not here to distract you for long, I swear." I lean closer to his touch, closing my eyes . "Hmm, what brings you here then. I mean I lo-like it when you visit me-" I start rambling in hopes he would miss my slip up.

"I will be gone a few days. I'm sorry I didn't warn you any sooner, but this work notice came out of nowhere." Drew stated, never breaking eye contact.

Unexplainable fuzzy warmth surged in my chest. "Thank you for warning me." I hummed, a small smile gracing my features. Drew nods before his adam's apple bobs. We continue this position for a few more seconds before Drew opens his mouth, but nothing comes out. "I'm going to miss seeing you nearly everyday." He finally stated.

"I'll miss you too." I tugged his hands off my face by his wrists, then slid up my palms to his to entwine our hands. Shuffling behind me brought me out of the spell I was in and reminded me I was at a working place. Glancing at the woman who took a book out of the shelve and carelessly placed it aside, I sigh in dismay. "I guess I'm off to continue the rest of my shift. Thanks again Drew for coming by before you left." I unexpectedly wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head on his chest, due to our height differences. Almost immediately, his long, fit arms go around my shoulders pulling me closer. His cologne enveloping my senses.

I pull apart a few inches, wanting to say goodbye audibly. "Have a nice trip and be safe Drew." I say earnestly. I feel his arms move before I understand what happens next. He gently tilts my head and leans in. Warm lips meet my own in a chaste kiss.

"I'll do it for you."

* * *

            Walking down the busy streets, I pay no mind to the world around me. My head was up in the clouds still thinking about Drew. It was remarkable how I managed to hear the shrill ring of my phone through the crowds' loud murmur and my own aloof state of mind. Taking note of the unknown phone number I still answer. "Hello?"

"Is this Harvey Clarkson?" A familiar male voice asked impatiently.

"This is she, with whom am I speaking with?" I cross the street as soon as I see the pedestrian light flicker on.

Loud shuffles are heard over the phone before a large sigh of relief follows. "It's Vincent, Harvs. Have you happened to see Drew today at all?

"Uh yeah, as in matter in fact he stopped by the book shop half an hour ago." I reply. feeling the slightest weirded out for the interrogation.